It's always five o'clock somewhere

What is the best cream liqueur? What is the best salted caramel cream liqueur?
No idea, I'm sure they're all sickly sweet though.

Got the Fentimans Connoisseuers tonic water in, much improved on their Premium one. Along with quinine has juniper berries, lemongrass and lime leaves in.

I think I did 2 1/2 bottles of wine yesterday, 3 old fashioned, some really sweet can of sake, 2 shots of makers.

It always astounds me how a younger lad who is physically larger than me will start to boast how he will drink me under the table and by last call I am the one dragging his barely responsive body home to his spouse.

I think I did 2 1/2 bottles of wine yesterday, 3 old fashioned, some really sweet can of sake, 2 shots of makers.

It always astounds me how a younger lad who is physically larger than me will start to boast how he will drink me under the table and by last call I am the one dragging his barely responsive body home to his spouse.
Way too much, that's hard drinking. You must have had a serious hangover on the wine alone?

On one of Leonard Cohen's tours, he was doing 3 bottles of Chateau Latour a day.

Haven't been drinking gin for awhile and first bottle bought after a couple months on Friday I did over half a bottle G&T style with half a bottle of wine. That was in two sittings, fell asleep about 8PM and woke up at 11.30PM and drank for another hour and half. Had a mild hangover Saturday morning, but I was out biking for a good 2 hrs at 8.30am. It would have been a lot better if I had only drank a quarter of a bottle of the gin with tonic.

Way too much, that's hard drinking. You must have had a serious hangover on the wine alone?

On one of Leonard Cohen's tours, he was doing 3 bottles of Chateau Latour a day.

Haven't been drinking gin for awhile and first bottle bought after a couple months on Friday I did over half a bottle G&T style with half a bottle of wine. That was in two sittings, fell asleep about 8PM and woke up at 11.30PM and drank for another hour and half. Had a mild hangover Saturday morning, but I was out biking for a good 2 hrs at 8.30am. It would have been a lot better if I had only drank a quarter of a bottle of the gin with tonic.

I slept 4 hours and then woke up a bit later than my usual time. Poked on my mobile for an hour and had a lie down for 2 more hours. I feel remarkably okay. I probably still smell like alcohol and I skipped the gym this morning. My throat is a bit raw and my voice is a few octaves lower but no, I'm okay. Just went for a 6km walk.

The wine was spread over 14 hours so it wasn't one sitting.

Got f*cked up last night when lunch & dinner was a packet of crisps and some popcorn with a bottle of wine at a networking event, and probably 1/3 bottle of whiskey at one of my home bars afterwards.

Attach35537_20220819_125616.jpg

It's summer and 31c today but I can't resist a pint of pride whenever I come by here. Also violating my no carb lunch rule.

The scotch egg - also a violation.

Last edited:
View attachment 44659

It's summer and 31c today but I can't resist a pint of pride whenever I come by here. Also violating my no carb lunch rule.

The scotch egg - also a violation.
Fuller's London Pride, always a winner...

As a JW Black breakfast of champions regular, like Christopher Hitchens, the Saudi Royal family and the Ba'ath Party , what's your take on that vs Double Black?

I'm asking as I think the non-aged Double Black is better than the 12 year old, and I can source more cost effectively from a certain supplier here.

Fuller's London Pride, always a winner...

As a JW Black breakfast of champions regular, like Christopher Hitchens, the Saudi Royal family and the Ba'ath Party , what's your take on that vs Double Black?

I'm asking as I think the non-aged Double Black is better than the 12 year old, and I can source more cost effectively from a certain supplier here.

Truth be told I have only had Double Black twice. Both were gifts to me from others passing through duty free.

I’m aware of them dropping the age requirement on Double Black. I honestly would need to do a blind test to do give you a proper opinion. I drink (or rather drank) Johnnie Walker Black because I used to be on the road a lot. Every airport bar, half decent lounge or airplane, and hotel bar have it so I like the consistency. It doesn’t go off after being opened either.

Truth be told I have only had Double Black twice. Both were gifts to me from others passing through duty free.

I’m aware of them dropping the age requirement on Double Black. I honestly would need to do a blind test to do give you a proper opinion. I drink (or rather drank) Johnnie Walker Black because I used to be on the road a lot. Every airport bar, half decent lounge or airplane, and hotel bar have it so I like the consistency. It doesn’t go off after being opened either.
Double Black uses the 12 year old as a base and then they add younger western isles whiskies to give it more complexity. Hence no age statement.

That was Christopher Hitchens view on Black Label: beware of moving onto expensive whiskies, as you may find yourself somewhere where it's not available. Unlike JW Black. As a (ex) world business traveller, I get that.

It is pretty consistent, which is not always the case with blends. When they're doing a batch there's literally hundreds of barrels all piped up going into the run of bottles. Certainly, JW Red is not consistent. The apple taste is not always there, sometimes it's like treacle, but if you use it as it's meant to be, as a mixer, it does work even when the taste profile isn't as advertised. But never drink neat.

As you probably know, Winston Churchill was also a JW drinker, Red as it happens. But it was a different, better quality blend back in the day. That you could drink neat.

Famous Grouse is probably the best cost effective blend out there. Definitely worth checking out, especially the cask finishings. Stanley Kubrik use to drink it.

Double Black uses the 12 year old as a base and then they add younger western isles whiskies to give it more complexity. Hence no age statement.

That was Christopher Hitchens view on Black Label: beware of moving onto expensive whiskies, as you may find yourself somewhere where it's not available. Unlike JW Black. As a (ex) world business traveller, I get that.

It is pretty consistent, which is not always the case with blends. When they're doing a batch there's literally hundreds of barrels all piped up going into the run of bottles. Certainly, JW Red is not consistent. The apple taste is not always there, sometimes it's like treacle, but if you use it as it's meant to be, as a mixer, it does work even when the taste profile isn't as advertised. But never drink neat.

As you probably know, Winston Churchill was also a JW drinker, Red as it happens. But it was a different, better quality blend back in the day. That you could drink neat.

Famous Grouse is probably the best cost effective blend out there. Definitely worth checking out, especially the cask finishings. Stanley Kubrik use to drink it.

I like peat so Johnnie Walker Black works for me. As I said I'll do a blind (sober) taste of both and see how it goes. You spurred me to use a gift card someone gave me to pick up the bottles in the dead of summer.

Only my Indian mates drink Johnnie Walker Red. They mix with coke or ice or ginger ale. If we're down to that selection I'd probably go for Canadian whisky (Canadian Club, Crown Royal) or Jameson. But I only find Red at sports or events venues or Chinese restaurants.

I thought Churchill mixed with water. I know given the amounts he imbibed in throughout his adult life it couldn't have been straight up.

When I first joined this now defunct cocktail club the first tasting event I went to was a single malt whisky. I randomly sat next to a gent who was a whisky man and I said I drank a lot of vodka in my youth and a bit of rum but never any whisky. The price of some of bottles scared me away. He suggested Black Grouse as a blended way to getting into whisky. Famous Grouse is 30.95 here which I understand is a step lower and Black Grouse can't be found anywhere in this province. If they start creeping into the 40s here you'll start seeing an Ardmore priced at 56 or lower on sale.

I thought Churchill mixed with water. I know given the amounts he imbibed in throughout his adult life it couldn't have been straight up.
His diet was champagne with a lunch of cold meats. Whisky before dinner and then cognac afterwards with soda water.

Got some Dewar's 8 year old Caribbean Smooth, good quality and nicely priced, but very easy drinking as a mixer. You could drink it neat too or with an ice cube.

Got a bottle of JW Green Label. Haven't had a bottle of this for some time. As ever with JW it's changed a bit over the years. The 15 year old Malt version from the 2000's was quite sweet, this is too, boasting Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore and Caol Ila in the blend. It's much richer than JW Black. Not bad at all.

75E33C2F-21C1-44F9-86AF-46E010DE8933.jpeg

My friend told my I had to try this sour pickle beer, so I picked some up for my post-booster self-medication. It is just like drinking the juice from the pickle jar. I couldn’t drink more than two last night. Would be good in a Bloody Mary or michelada, but I won’t be buying it again. Also, turns out my friend isn’t doesn’t drink a lot of beer.

My friend told my I had to try this sour pickle beer, so I picked some up for my post-booster self-medication. It is just like drinking the juice from the pickle jar. I couldn’t drink more than two last night. Would be good in a Bloody Mary or michelada, but I won’t be buying it again. Also, turns out my friend isn’t doesn’t drink a lot of beer.

Pickleback would be more refreshing.

Is that a Canadian thing? Like Nickleback?

It reads like it came from Scotland. Whether the British brought it over to the States or it was through this bloke from Montreal - who knows.

Wikipedia:
"The 'pickleback' has spread internationally, particularly in the English-speaking world, with many bars now offering picklebacks on their menus. The drink has had significant success in Aberdeen, Scotland, thanks to its reputed popularity among staff of the craft brewer BrewDog whose flagship bar is in the city. This has resulted in city establishment "The Tippling House" having to increase their nightly supply of pickle brine to ensure that the drink can stay available.[2]

British visitors returning to the United Kingdom from New York City (thanks to Vincent Leclerc from Montreal, who introduced the pickleback in NYC in 2009) introduced the recipe to bars in both London (as early as 2011),[3] and Devon. In 2012, UK bartender Byron Knight created a bottled pickleback using his own homegrown dill pickles and a flavour profile of ginger, mustard seeds, dill, garlic and dark sugar.[4]

The drink has also spread to Canada,[5] Shanghai[6] and Belfast."

It's a good way to use up Irish whiskey. I usually ask for Jameson. It seems popular with my 20 something year old bartenders and amongst the financial district gents in their 20s.

I was at a bar unwinding with a few glasses of wine on a very slow Friday night. This server/bartender starts flirting with me and grabs my mobile and adds her small business to my Facebook and made me like it. I was saying who uses Facebook unless you're 50 something? And then she starts divulging her high school experiences to the point I figured out she must be around 37. One of the ex-employees at this restaurant did a fake review on her Facebook and tapping around I found out she has a 2 year old with some man.

I find I'm drinking 2 bottles of wine on my drinking days now.

I mostly drink white so it's not quite like my old work mates in London who show up with red stained teeth.

Got a free drink at a grocery store bar. He was making sparkling with raspberry for everyone and said he would give me a tasting which ended up being the whole drink.

This izakaya had some nice Japanese hip hop going until the remaining two non orientals asked them to switch it to Sweet Caroline

Having pinot grigio at a sports bar. People just sit here on a weekend afternoon staring at television screens? Not just blokes but girls too.

Oh wait this couple is from the States. Sing alongs to any country song that comes on.

Last edited:
Still looking for cream liqueur. Bought a bottle of Five Farms, which is ok. Also bought another bottle of Riise Caramel, which I remeber to be ok as well. Might just have to make some myself to get something good.

apparently all the 375ml half bottles of hard liquor have anti theft devices on them. Full 750ml bottles and premium brands not so much. The sheer amount of homeless and crazies here is a bit of a deterrent.

Taking the fam to some Xmas village thing and then I’m gonna need a drink, but all I have at home is a bottle of dark and light agave someone gave me. What the hell do I mix that with? Or is it like a tequila shot?

Taking the fam to some Xmas village thing and then I’m gonna need a drink, but all I have at home is a bottle of dark and light agave someone gave me. What the hell do I mix that with? Or is it like a tequila shot?
agave like the sweetener???

I have no idea what this is but I‘m fairly certain you can turn pretty much everything into a sour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom