Odd Things Seen Daily By Me

As I was walking to the bookstore earlier this week to buy a birthday present for my son, I walked past a young man in a three-piece flannel suit, with a watch-chain across the front of the waistcoat. He was also wearing a fedora. His shoes were average - not as awful as most people's, but not up to clothing fora standards - and his shirt was OK, but not great.

All in all, the outfit was pretty good. It was, unfortunately, spoiled by his tie, which was an absolutely awful, multi-striped satin monstrosity in purple, black and blue. I felt like ripping it from his neck, hurling it to the ground and stamping upon it.
 
At Canadian Tire, not only do you get Canadian Tire money (that Russell Street Russell Street thinks we use as legal tender) you can do all of your major automotive work in the parking lot. This dude had a creeper and everything
image.webp
 
Every time I leave the suburbs where my parents live, I pass by a bald, tanned and rather imposing man standing on the side of the road waiting for a bus at 7am. He must take a bus to get to the fitness centre quite early and is obviously waiting for a bus to take him to the train station to commute to the city for work. He's in business casual. I see him in all manner of weather including the frigid winter. I have to wonder what kind of man has this dedication to fitness yet indulges in a cigarette whilst waiting for the bus. Don't the two offset?
 
Ran into a guy who works or is related to a local farmer at the pool locker room and he was wearing a lightweight solid blue suit with a medium blue vest and lighter blue shirt. Didn't look bad despite being cheaper no name yoox variety in quality. I asked him what his name was, Valice, new to me.
 
People getting on an express train and then fighting through a rush hour standing crowd to get to the toilet. You couldn't time your last cup of coffee with a 25 minute train ride?
 
Toilets on a metro commuter peak hour train?

Yeah I'm standing right next to one. It's about 1.5 times the size of the area I'm standing in. If this were Africa, the sliding door would be propped open and we'd stand inside with one person using the toilet as a seat. Or was that India or China?
 
Yeah I'm standing right next to one. It's about 1.5 times the size of the area I'm standing in. If this were Africa, the sliding door would be propped open and we'd stand inside with one person using the toilet as a seat. Or was that India or China?

I'm sure it was all of them, plus about 20 other countries including Brazil.
 
Right up to the pavement. Had not jumped to the other side
 
Wow. That must have been a little scary.

No, remember I dig fire. I would have loved to have got out and worked on the fire line. Did that years ago for summer work. The crews had spiffy red jumpsuits. Watched the water bombers drop some loads and then moved on to where i was going. It pissed rain that afternoon so that and the crews got it under control. Was just some hot spots smouldering this morning as I drow through again.

I'm up in Northern boonies this week.

Power is out everywhere today. Would have been nice if they had told me that before I drove an hour just to turn around again and go back to my hotel.
 
I just saw a woman struggle to put a stroller on to a bus. Then I realised she has a dog in the stroller. I thought dogs walked.

This must be the apex of decline and fall - ancient Egypt comes to mind.
 
Asian people watching their serials on tablets or mobiles whilst walking around. I even saw one who used one hand to take a piss so he could continue watching it.
 
I just saw a woman struggle to put a stroller on to a bus. Then I realised she has a dog in the stroller. I thought dogs walked.

This must be the apex of decline and fall - ancient Egypt comes to mind.

Love it, she #identifies her dog as a child.
 
:thinking:

I always thought foreign babies were cheaper.

Depends. high quality minimally-pigmented western European ones are very expensive.

Trans bus riders with dogs in strollers: dog stolen from East LA Dog High Jump Junior Varsity Team
 
Depends. high quality minimally-pigmented western European ones are very expensive.

Trans bus riders with dogs in strollers: dog stolen from East LA Dog High Jump Junior Varsity Team

Perfect. I'll just order a Thai and #identify it so whitey white it's transparent. I wouldn't want a Russian baby anyway, that's for sure (we need a Putin emo Grand Potentate Grand Potentate ).
 
"Well why don't we have a spare for the spare? Aren't these things run flat anyway?"

No friend, they are not
image.webp
 
I am a bit rattled this morning. Apparently an iGent with a penchant for the nautical, Ivy jewelry was attacked in my parking lot:

IMG_0934.webp


everyone, please review photographs of known iGents who fit the profile of wearing such jewelry. I suggest starting with this man:

LL

LL
 
image.webp


Looks like a regular bottle of blue vitamin water, no? No. Lab tech's saddlebags on his Harley were broken into and some dirtbag stole his Harley hat and driving gloves. Plus they stole his vitamin water.

This bottle is filled with windshield washer fluid in hopes the criminal returns and is still thirsty
 
I was cleaning out a horse shelter and a peacock walks out of the trees and right by me. So I follow it. It keeps just ahead of me and we get to the back of another pasture and into some bush and it stops, looks at me, flys up to a fallen tree and flaps down into the next property and struts off through the tall grass.

A mile from here is a commercial green house and they have peacocks. I walked a mile, crossing a highway across at least 3 properties and it is still going.

My wife asked me if I was drinking and where was the picture. I was following a peacock through fucking bush. I'm going to stop for a photo op?
 
When I was young, our next-door neighbours had delusions of grandeur. Admittedly, they did have a large, sandstone-faced house on five acres of land with a swimming pool and tennis court, so I suppose that they were rather grand. However, so as to make themselves appear even more grand, they installed a few sandstone statues around their yard, had a few clipped topiary bushes installed, and brought in a flock of peacocks, too.

F&%$ me, those things were noisy. At irregular intervals, you'd heard a loud "PCK-AAAAH!" noise from over the fence, as though a small child had run into an electric fence, but it was the damned peacocks!

Anyway, the owner of the house was prosecuted for tax fraud as he'd apparently funded his delusions of grandeur - and the peacocks - by the simple tactic of not paying tax. They fled overseas and the peacocks disappeared before the house was flogged off to pay his debts.
 
Were the peacocks upset about he lack of peahens?

Perhaps - maybe they made so much noise because they were fruitlessly attempting to summon some peahens.

The family did also have a large, pedigreed Old English Sheepdog, but that clearly wasn't an acceptable substitute.
 
lower-simcoe-flooded.jpg


I have about 3 routes to get to my office every morning - less than 1.5km away. One route takes me through a new underpass that has been invaded permanently by up to two homeless people. When the underpass is flooding, the homeless people instinctively move from the road side of the underpass to the opposite side somewhat like urbanites moving their parked cars to get out of the way of snow ploughs.

I never understood why until I realized the drain holes in the concrete barrier seep into their reserved homeless sleeping area. Kind souls they are, they're sleeping road side to get out of the way of pedestrians.
 
image.webp


Nice isn't it? Grandpa out doing a bit of grocery shopping with his grandson. Cute little doggie backpack on the lad.

Look closer.

AfghanGramps actually has one of the straps from the backpack and is holding it like a leash. Grandson is developmentally disabled and every now and then he makes a break to escape but like the bulldog in Bugs Bunny he hits he end of his leash and AfghanGramps reels him back in.

Quite ingenious to use the doggie backpack to obfuscate the leashed Grandson.

Occasionally he gets a pat on the head if he avoids knocking over a display.
 
View attachment 7150

Nice isn't it? Grandpa out doing a bit of grocery shopping with his grandson. Cute little doggie backpack on the lad.

Look closer.

AfghanGramps actually has one of the straps from the backpack and is holding it like a leash. Grandson is developmentally disabled and every now and then he makes a break to escape but like the bulldog in Bugs Bunny he hits he end of his leash and AfghanGramps reels him back in.

Quite ingenious to use the doggie backpack to obfuscate the leashed Grandson.

Occasionally he gets a pat on the head if he avoids knocking over a display.
The oddest thing about that pic is the white guy wearing an Atlanta Braves cap.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom