Ridiculous Stories In The News

Priyanka Chopra attacked for showing her legs to Modi

_96281809_2b0c0c5d-ecf8-4642-987b-bbf50d01eb71.jpg

"It didn't take long though, before the 'disrespectful' dress became the topic of conversation, with many commenting on how it 'insulted' Mr Modi and his 'pious followers.'"

She can disrespect me any time.

It's funny it's all these countries that make millions and millions of babies and are fertile that try to lock down their women. You'd think piety would come from societies on demographic decline.

I can completely envision the Duchess of Cambridge sitting like this and for the 21st century that is a conservative dress.

yup free, which eliminates one's right to ask for a WHITEY doctor

She obviously had bad experiences in the past.
Asking for two features is rather bold, white and speaking English. What's next, competence?

They should have a chart on the wall near the entrance with all the staff and their rankings in regards to medical/ language skill, skin tone and, most importantly, success rate.
If you want to see the best be prepared to pay a little surcharge.

Chinese tourists arrested for Hitler salute in Germany

"Two Chinese tourists were arrested in Berlin for making Hitler salutes outside the German parliament on Saturday."

Along with the Russian neo-nazis, these phenomena are horribly ironic - weren't the Chinese and Russians on the side of the Allieds and suffered from Axis incursion?

So, in the future you need to hire (fat) women and/ or members of ethnic minorities just so you can't be called sexist/ racist, size-ist or whatever...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40845288
Google employee anti-diversity memo causes row

In an internal memo, a male software engineer argued the lack of women in top tech jobs was due to biological differences between men and women.

"We need to stop assuming that gender gaps imply sexism," he wrote in the piece which was widely criticised.

But the author said he had received "many personal messages from fellow Googlers expressing their gratitude".

It argues that "the abilities of men and women differ in part due to biological causes and that these differences may explain why we don't see equal representation of women in tech and leadership".

The unnamed author says women generally "prefer jobs in social or artistic areas" while "more men may like coding".

The last part is actually supported by a great number of studies from all over the world. Women seem to shy away from hard physical work, high risk jobs and jobs with a science background.
Lord Buckley Lord Buckley should know: How many women work on oil fields or oil platforms (other than the occasional "social workers)?

So, in the future you need to hire (fat) women and/ or members of ethnic minorities just so you can't be called sexist/ racist, size-ist or whatever...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40845288

The last part is actually supported by a great number of studies from all over the world. Women seem to shy away from hard physical work, high risk jobs and jobs with a science background.
Lord Buckley Lord Buckley should know: How many women work on oil fields or oil platforms (other than the occasional "social workers)?
Google fires employee who wrote anti-diversity memo

There are some, but not at the drill bit end of things. I've never seen a female roustabout. I've seen female welders. Never a pipe fitter, scaffolder or deep sea diver. They're either graduate engineers or in working in the canteen. They can be found offshore. But not in diversity policy compliant ratios.

There are some, but not at the drill bit end of things. I've never seen a female roustabout. I've seen female welders. Never a pipe fitter, scaffolder or deep sea diver. They're either graduate engineers or in working in the canteen. They can be found offshore. But not in diversity policy compliant ratios.

I just watched Deepwater Horizon. There's a woman on there.

As I said, there's ladies on the platforms in certain disciplines, but you won't find them in the physically demanding roles.

As I said, there's ladies on the platforms in certain disciplines, but you won't find them in the physically demanding roles.

It would be great if any of the major players in the oil drilling business would staff a platform with women only.
Bookies could have bets on how long until the first cat fight...

That is not quite correct/complete. It is supported by a few studies focusing on European countries. "It" meaning biologically determined preferences (as opposed to socially imposed/created differences). "It" also meaning only slight differences considering statistically significant differences for the average population (which tells you next to nothing about individual persons in that population). Both points actually being mentioned in the memo, which you apparently haven't read.

Apart from that, all of this is purely descriptive and not normative, so it does not tell you anything about how things should or could be. Which is an entirely different discussion. Also mentioned in the memo btw.

For the record, a couple of years ago I did have a female subordinate (and an extremely hot one) that used to work on an oil rig. Like stated above, as a chemical engineer (bossing around an entirely male team). However, why anyone would strive to do some physically demanding, wrench operating monkey job on an oil rig (of all places) is totally beyond me. You might want to do that if you have no valuable skill set but still want to make ok money and have no life/friends/family. But even in that case there are better options.

Wasn't that lady in Flashdance a welder...?

Wasn't that lady in Flashdance a welder...?

Yes, she was. And I tested out a female welder who was a dancer and had been inspired to become a welder on the basis of the film. She failed her qualification test, but someone stood in and welded her test piece for her....so she ended up on the shutdown and was covered by her colleagues who were happy to have a hot lady on the job.

Actually, no problems physically for female welders in general, but who would want to expose themselves to the welding fumes, radioactive tungsten and proximity to scaffolders? I wouldn't want my daughters to follow that route as sexist as that may be.

London sewers clogged by fatberg

Stretching longer than the length of two football fields, a 130-ton mass of congealed oil, wet wipes, diapers and sanitary products colloquially known as a "fatberg" risks blocking up a Victorian-era sewer under the streets of London.

Do people get extra pay for this?

London sewers clogged by fatberg

Stretching longer than the length of two football fields, a 130-ton mass of congealed oil, wet wipes, diapers and sanitary products colloquially known as a "fatberg" risks blocking up a Victorian-era sewer under the streets of London.

Do people get extra pay for this?
It was monkey face in his last flat and he left town before they caught him.

I was reading an editorial piece about Weinstein and the #MeToo stuff this week and she cited this article here...

Rape Culture says a lot about masculinity

And then came across this "...instead of teaching her how to avoid getting raped, perhaps more attention should be paid to teaching him how not to rape."

Which offers a link to this: How to teach your boys not to rape

...what the f#*( ...not all men are walking around filled to the brim with testosterone ready to pounce, ravage and sodomize human beings of the opposite sex.

I was reading an editorial piece about Weinstein and the #MeToo stuff this week and she cited this article here...

Rape Culture says a lot about masculinity

And then came across this "...instead of teaching her how to avoid getting raped, perhaps more attention should be paid to teaching him how not to rape."

Which offers a link to this: How to teach your boys not to rape

...what the f#*( ...not all men are walking around filled to the brim with testosterone ready to pounce, ravage and sodomize human beings of the opposite sex.

That is exactly what a rapist would say

I Am Very Excited To Give Amazon The Power To Unlock The Door To My Home
yowvxxdx15wbgfukj7ry.png

Image via Amazon

Great news for insane people and morons: Amazon has disrupted the lock!Now, you can choose to pay money to grant this giant faceless hell-corporation the ability to send strangers inside your locked home when you’re not there. Just like you always wanted.

I don’t know about you, but for me, Man With A Mouth Full Of Elmer’s School Glue At All Times, a persistent annoyance of daily life in the 21st century is how I choose, of my own free will, to configure the doors and windows of my home in such a way as to prevent anyone from being able to enter when I am not there and/or asleep. It’s infuriating! Why can’t strangers freely violate the security of my home that I have deliberately locked? Why can’t they come and go as they please through the portals I have closed, intentionally, for the express purpose of preventing them from coming and going as they please? Why can’t I fit an entire motorized nine-speed hand-mixer up my nose?

This is why I am glad the United States of America has the world’s most robust and visionary technology sector: So that the bright young thinkovators of our great nation can apply themselves to such age-old problems as “people locking their doors when they leave home, yet also wanting underpaid subcontractors of vast service-sector-destroying technology corporations to enter their homes while they’re gone.” The solution (to the reasonable home security provided by a locked front door), it turns out, is as simple as turning the place where you live into a miniature privatized surveillance-state dystopia monitored at all times by the terrifying, unaccountable mega-corporation on the far side of the omnipresent computing cloud. Sign me the hell up!

Here’s how it works, according to The Verge:

The service is called Amazon Key, and it relies on a Amazon’s new Cloud Cam and compatible smart lock. The camera is the hub, connected to the internet via your home Wi-Fi. The camera talks to the lock over Zigbee, a wireless protocol utilized by many smart home devices.

When a courier arrives with a package for in-home delivery, they scan the barcode, sending a request to Amazon’s cloud. If everything checks out, the cloud grants permission by sending a message back to the camera, which starts recording. The courier then gets a prompt on their app, swipes the screen, and voilà, your door unlocks. They drop off the package, relock the door with another swipe, and are on their way. The customer will get a notification that their delivery has arrived, along with a short video showing the drop-off to confirm everything was done properly.

This does not at all sound like an actual nightmare. I, Traumatic Brain Injury Futurist, love to erase literally all the physical and technological boundaries separating my home from the retail supply chain of unspeakably vast and infinitely ravenous profit-making machines that only this year suffered huge security breaches exposing the personal data of thousands and thousands of people. Love to pay extra money to give Amazon’s cold, post-human robot hive brain—and whichever syndicates of Odessa teen hackers happen to be exploiting it at any given moment!—a physical, recording eyeball inside my home, and control over the actual door. It seems great to me, Man Who Got His Head Stuck Inside A Helium Balloon In 1994 And Has Had It There Ever Since.

It’s a tremendous relief to know that I will not have to worry about thieves making off with the Amazon packages on my doorstep anymore, now that I have willingly granted any number of complete strangers access to the inside of my home where virtually all my possessions can be found. I, Insane Housebound Shut-In Who Nevertheless Both Leaves Home Often Enough For This To Be A Concern And Has No Particular Hang-Ups About The Sanctity Of My Personal Dwelling-Space, definitely order enough stuff off Amazon for this to be worth turning the administration of the inside of my home over to an Amazon-controlled camera and internet-connected door lock.

To celebrate this tremendous advance in the field of obliterating the entire concepts of human privacy and property and personhood, I am going to drill another hole in my cranium and pour some laundry detergent into it, just as soon as a harried Amazon courier with dark circles under his eyes and a heartbeats-per-delivery monitor stitched into his ribcage violates the place where I live to leave a bottle of Gain on the doormat.

I Am Very Excited To Give Amazon The Power To Unlock The Door To My Home
yowvxxdx15wbgfukj7ry.png

Image via Amazon

Great news for insane people and morons: Amazon has disrupted the lock!Now, you can choose to pay money to grant this giant faceless hell-corporation the ability to send strangers inside your locked home when you’re not there. Just like you always wanted.

I don’t know about you, but for me, Man With A Mouth Full Of Elmer’s School Glue At All Times, a persistent annoyance of daily life in the 21st century is how I choose, of my own free will, to configure the doors and windows of my home in such a way as to prevent anyone from being able to enter when I am not there and/or asleep. It’s infuriating! Why can’t strangers freely violate the security of my home that I have deliberately locked? Why can’t they come and go as they please through the portals I have closed, intentionally, for the express purpose of preventing them from coming and going as they please? Why can’t I fit an entire motorized nine-speed hand-mixer up my nose?

This is why I am glad the United States of America has the world’s most robust and visionary technology sector: So that the bright young thinkovators of our great nation can apply themselves to such age-old problems as “people locking their doors when they leave home, yet also wanting underpaid subcontractors of vast service-sector-destroying technology corporations to enter their homes while they’re gone.” The solution (to the reasonable home security provided by a locked front door), it turns out, is as simple as turning the place where you live into a miniature privatized surveillance-state dystopia monitored at all times by the terrifying, unaccountable mega-corporation on the far side of the omnipresent computing cloud. Sign me the hell up!

Here’s how it works, according to The Verge:

The service is called Amazon Key, and it relies on a Amazon’s new Cloud Cam and compatible smart lock. The camera is the hub, connected to the internet via your home Wi-Fi. The camera talks to the lock over Zigbee, a wireless protocol utilized by many smart home devices.

When a courier arrives with a package for in-home delivery, they scan the barcode, sending a request to Amazon’s cloud. If everything checks out, the cloud grants permission by sending a message back to the camera, which starts recording. The courier then gets a prompt on their app, swipes the screen, and voilà, your door unlocks. They drop off the package, relock the door with another swipe, and are on their way. The customer will get a notification that their delivery has arrived, along with a short video showing the drop-off to confirm everything was done properly.

This does not at all sound like an actual nightmare. I, Traumatic Brain Injury Futurist, love to erase literally all the physical and technological boundaries separating my home from the retail supply chain of unspeakably vast and infinitely ravenous profit-making machines that only this year suffered huge security breaches exposing the personal data of thousands and thousands of people. Love to pay extra money to give Amazon’s cold, post-human robot hive brain—and whichever syndicates of Odessa teen hackers happen to be exploiting it at any given moment!—a physical, recording eyeball inside my home, and control over the actual door. It seems great to me, Man Who Got His Head Stuck Inside A Helium Balloon In 1994 And Has Had It There Ever Since.

It’s a tremendous relief to know that I will not have to worry about thieves making off with the Amazon packages on my doorstep anymore, now that I have willingly granted any number of complete strangers access to the inside of my home where virtually all my possessions can be found. I, Insane Housebound Shut-In Who Nevertheless Both Leaves Home Often Enough For This To Be A Concern And Has No Particular Hang-Ups About The Sanctity Of My Personal Dwelling-Space, definitely order enough stuff off Amazon for this to be worth turning the administration of the inside of my home over to an Amazon-controlled camera and internet-connected door lock.

To celebrate this tremendous advance in the field of obliterating the entire concepts of human privacy and property and personhood, I am going to drill another hole in my cranium and pour some laundry detergent into it, just as soon as a harried Amazon courier with dark circles under his eyes and a heartbeats-per-delivery monitor stitched into his ribcage violates the place where I live to leave a bottle of Gain on the doormat.

I suspect he won't be signing up then...

Cuba - U.S. Diplomats Retreat In Horror ... Because ... 'Crickets'
This incident earlier this month will probably go down in the annals as the most stupid diplomatic f***-up ever:

President Trump on Tuesday expelled 15 Cuban diplomats, escalating his response to a mysterious affliction that has stricken American Embassy personnel in Havana in a move that cast a Cold War chill over relations between the two countries.
American diplomats and their spouses began reporting symptoms that included hearing loss, dizziness, balance and visual problems, headaches and cognitive issues last December. By late January, the State Department realized that the illnesses were related and might have resulted from some sort of attack, perhaps by a sonic device, toxin or virus.
The U.S. diplomats were hearing strange noises at night. This within certain parts of their embassy as well as in some homes. Lots of mischief was suspected - from huge infrasound weapons to food poisoning. But no technical or medical explanation was found. The State Department described the noise as "specific attacks" on its diplomats. At least 21 were affected and half of the U.S. staff in Havana was ordered home. Cuban diplomats were expelled from the U.S.

Recordings of the mysterious sound (YT: Listen to the sound US embassy workers heard in the Cuba attacks)
embed.svg
were made available to AP. The agency noted:

It sounds sort of like a mass of crickets. A high-pitched whine, but from what?
The sound seemed to manifest in pulses of varying lengths — seven seconds, 12 seconds, two seconds — with some sustained periods of several minutes or more. Then there would be silence for a second, or 13 seconds, or four seconds, before the sound abruptly started again.
A Cuban investigation now found the obvious answer to the AP's "but what?" question - 'crickets':

cicada.jpg

Officials with Cuba’s Interior Ministry said that U.S. investigators had presented them with three recordings made by presumed victims of sonic attacks and that analysis of the sounds showed them to be extremely similar to those of crickets and cicadas that live along the northern coast of Cuba.
“It’s the same bandwidth and it’s audibly very similar,” said Lt. Col. Juan Carlos Molina, a telecommunications specialist with the Interior Ministry. “We compared the spectrums of the sounds and evidently this common sound is very similar to the sound of a cicada.”

Crickets can make noise as loud as 100 decibel, loud enough to cause health problems. The U.S. diplomats in Cuba were "attacked" by Cuban crickets which made enough noise to cause discomfort or even symptoms of illness. As someone only exposed to crickets when traveling abroad I can confirm that night-long cricket noise can be extremely unsettling to those who are not used to it.

But why did the State Department not know this? Why did the diplomats not recognize the noise for what it was? Cicadas and crickets are not uncommon in the southern U.S. states.

Presumable some in the CIA and in the State Department do not want better relations with Cuba and resisted the 2016 reopening of the embassy. It is possible that they used the cicada "attacks" to sabotage the relations.

Whatever. The incident lets the U.S. State Department look extremely silly. Imagine all the "crickets" jokes diplomats from other countries will make about their U.S. colleagues.

The mighty U.S. was defeated! Its diplomats retreated in panic! ... because ... 'crickets'.

On BBC radio 2 and the BBC website: Deaf woman demands sign language translater for music event:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42776454

Sally is deaf and booked for herself and two deaf friends to go with their daughters who are all able to hear.

In order that she and her two friends could fully access the performance, Sally asked the organisers, LHG Live, to provide a British Sign Language interpreter.

She was initially offered carer tickets and told that she could bring her own interpreter, but she didn't consider that met her needs or amounted to full access.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-hey-vegetarians-food-shaming-does-not-work/

"When you cut off the chicken’s head to make it into a casserole, it does not thank you first for letting it run around the yard."

No wonder this person is a vegetarian. They're cutting off chicken heads and throwing them into a casserole.

"You are killing animals and eating them. Stop pretending you are on the ethical high ground. Unless that pig is charging at you with murderous intent and you are acting in self-defence, you’re slitting its throat in order to make bacon bits ice cream. Own what you do."

I do own what I do. If I don't eat that pig, it'll procreate like crazy, kick me out of my flat and then proceed to make the world unsustainable.

This is great, good to see there are Brits standing up to the anarcho-tyranny state:

And yes, definitely a T&A shirt, always a winner!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom