The Football/Soccer Thread

My former work mate was ridiculing the Gunners and saying how they will put West Ham‘s campaign back on track.

Pellegrini sacked at West Ham. All the expensive purchases aren't panning out. Where's the next Mark Noble?

Arsenal lose to Chelsea. Who loses to Chelsea these days?

"There are outward signs such as the micro-management, attempting to orchestrate moves and positions by use of animated gestures and arm-waving tic-tac, and the smart-casual touchline attire."

If only Wenger knew that losing the tie meant his squad's performance would improve.

“They are getting a very experienced Premier League manager," said Moyes.
"I think there's only two or three managers with a better Premier League win record. That's what I do, I win.

That’s why you were sacked at United, chosen one.

"Derby's victory was Wayne Rooney's first senior match since DC United's MLS play-off defeat by Toronto FC on 25 October."

"Rams manager Phillip Cocu had no hesitation putting 34-year-old Rooney straight into the starting XI and making him captain, citing his 'leadership' qualities."

Leadership isn't wearing the captain's arm band when you're down 5-1 in extra time and as lone striker you can't be bothered so you pull up on a run to chase a ball against a lone defender that your own back line cleared the ball towards.

Brentford 3 QPR 1 in final league derby at Griffin Park between these two West London sides.

Early start and bus replacement on SW rail put me off going. Not sure if I will go to see them face Leicester in FA Cup either - another early start (and both teams will probably be full of reserves).

Last edited:
You mean the Premier League is now like Bundesliga, or Ligue 1 where only one team wins?

"The gulf is not only huge between Liverpool and United. In the Premier League context, it is huge between Liverpool and the rest of the Premier League."

Brentford reserves 0 Leicester 1.

Not bad as Bees were not playing BMW ( Benrahma, Mbuemo, Watkins) up front.

Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night given greater priority.

There was never a winter break in the Premier League. That’s why it’s the Premier League. Klopp is only formalizing what so many other managers have not so discretely done in the past.

Pompey v Arsenal in FA Cup.

I remember being at the same fixture in 1971 when Portsmouth were a distinctly average second division side. Nearly half a century ago!

I also remember Mike Trebilcock’s game for Everton v Sheffield Wednesday in the 66 final.

The days when the FA Cup was still a huge sporting occasion.

One of my mates in London is a West Ham supporter and he said he's going mental this season.

Really quite boring now that Liverpool is going to run away with the title.

Arsenal only notched its seventh win of the season and it's 16th February.

Mighty Watford defeats Liverpool.

Maybe I can watch the Premiership once again...

Football is still being played in Belarus in case anyone wants to see live footy.

Rumour is I might be getting a refund or at least they will stop charging my credit card for my seasons. That said I still want to go to as many home fixtures as I can this year no matter how late.

Footy is resuming. What happens in closed door settings when one player is infected? You have to rest the starting XI and play the reserve squad? It makes for interesting managerial selections.

The German team to support would be Saint Pauli. Old stadium in centre of Hamburg. A bit lefty and right-on but their supporters pub St. Pauli Eck was really nice - even though Hamburg beer is not great -and the landlady gave us all little lapel badges as souvenirs ten years ago. It is not in the top flight at the moment but that does not worry me.

Some European top flight leagues are playing closed door games to finish the season. MLS is negotiating with its players union to do a 4 week tournament in Orlando. They only played 2 or 3 games this season and they're already wrapping up with a 4 week tournament? What is that - 8 fixtures and that's it?

I want my seasons money back.

Some European top flight leagues are playing closed door games to finish the season. MLS is negotiating with its players union to do a 4 week tournament in Orlando. They only played 2 or 3 games this season and they're already wrapping up with a 4 week tournament? What is that - 8 fixtures and that's it?

I want my seasons money back.
Clubs should make refunds, whatever it says in the small print.

I'm offered a refund less the one home fixture I went to. Or I can keep it as "credit" for next season and get a voucher for free food or booze.

MLS is running a strange tournament with "World Cup style" draws where you are put in a group and guaranteed three fixtures in neutral ground. Then it's knockouts and I assume some two legged series till a final. 5 subs! You win 1M plus cash and a trip to CONCACAF champions league.

I can be convinced if this is the way to settle a European league after a long 2/3 or 3/4 of a season. I am utterly confused when the MLS season is March-October with American style playoffs till November. We missed 3 months and we have to hurry it up in one month?

Last edited:
I'm offered a refund less the one home fixture I went to. Or I can keep it as "credit" for next season and get a voucher for free food or booze.

MLS is running a strange tournament with "World Cup style" draws where you are put in a group and guaranteed three fixtures in neutral ground. Then it's knockouts and I assume some two legged series till a final. 5 subs! You win 1M plus cash and a trip to CONCACAF champions league.

I can be convinced if this is the way to settle a European league after a long 2/3 or 3/4 of a season. I am utterly confused when the MLS season is March-October with American style playoffs till November. We missed 3 months and we have to hurry it up in one month?
Here it is nine games in the Championship to finish this season.

Starts June 20 with Fulham v Brentford previously scheduled for March 13.

I don't get the five substitution rule. Someone falls due to coronavirus or we just want to get the lads as much playing time as possible with fewer fixtures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom