The Fragrance Thread & SOTD

Just bought meself a bott-el of Penhaligon's Alizarin. A bonkers scent that opens with a Lagavulin whisky (Lapsang Souchong) note.

What kind of madness is this...?

.... I 'ad to 'ave it.

a) Do you have any other decants available; and
b) Are you willing to ship to Oz and how much would it cost?

a) Do you have any other decants available; and
anything that we decided as a group to decant we could do. the whole gist is splitting a single bottle up amongst a bunch of people.
b) Are you willing to ship to Oz and how much would it cost?
i'll ship to wherever you want so long as you'll pay for it.

didn't i ship a decant to you back when i was doing them on styfo?

Yesterday GIT
Today Zegna Peruvian Ambrette (courtesy of doghouse doghouse )
ActiveDevotedEmu-small.gif

Looking for a new aftershave. DR Harris is no more, they changed their formulas and it smells like paint thinner.

Floris because Bond? Too complex for my taste.
Hermes Eau de Citron noir?
Trumpers Limes?

Got a sample of Tom Ford Fucking Faboulus yesterday. Very strong aniseed and licorice, almost identical to the opening of XIX March but stays that way. Like and use that one a lot, so that's nice.

Recently got a sample of Amouage Sunshine Men, still undecided. Smells like a well-used sauna for the first 1-2 hours, then it turns into another vanilla bomb. Will try it a few more times. But so far I think I'd prefer Xerjoff Uden or Atkinsons Pirates Grand Reserve, which I'd group together having a similar effect.

Looking for a new aftershave. DR Harris is no more, they changed their formulas and it smells like paint thinner.

Floris because Bond? Too complex for my taste.
Hermes Eau de Citron noir?
Trumpers Limes?
proraso? very old school italian.
castle forbes is nice
there's another lime scented one that i can't think of off the top of my head. it might be trumpers but i'm not positive.
there's 10000 new brands out now. might want to check out reddit. some of the crap is supposedly good but then you'll end up down the rabbit hole.

what happened with DR Harris? did they just change the aftershave or all the products?

doghouse doghouse you know about this?

Got a sample of Tom Ford Fucking Faboulus yesterday. Very strong aniseed and licorice, almost identical to the opening of XIX March but stays that way. Like and use that one a lot, so that's nice.

Recently got a sample of Amouage Sunshine Men, still undecided. Smells like a well-used sauna for the first 1-2 hours, then it turns into another vanilla bomb. Will try it a few more times. But so far I think I'd prefer Xerjoff Uden or Atkinsons Pirates Grand Reserve, which I'd group together having a similar effect.
i didn't really care for fucking fabulous. kind of smelled like he was just trying too hard to be wild there.
the newer fougere d'argent isn't too bad though. i wouldn't spring for a whole bottle but maybe a small decant.

he's re-releasing a bunch of the original scents from the line as well. the dearly departed MFDoom MFDoom 's favorite amber absolute as well. no clue about the quality of the scents though:

https://www.tomford.com/beauty/frag...rule=newarrivals&sz=12&start=0&cgid=3-555-624

the newer fougere d'argent isn't too bad though.
the dearly departed MFDoom MFDoom MFDoom MFDoom 's favorite amber absolute as well.

I'll give both of them a try. Any other recommendations for Tom Ford? So far I'm thoroughly unimpressed with what I've tried. Actually quite remarkable that they offer at least 50+ different scents and not one of them is remarkable or in any way original. So far, there seems to be absolutely nothing that someone else hasn't done before. I have obviously not nearly tried all of them, so maybe there is something that is a bit unique.

I'll give both of them a try. Any other recommendations for Tom Ford? So far I'm thoroughly unimpressed with what I've tried. Actually quite remarkable that they offer at least 50+ different scents and not one of them is remarkable or in any way original. So far, there seems to be absolutely nothing that someone else hasn't done before. I have obviously not nearly tried all of them, so maybe there is something that is a bit unique.
tobacco vanille is my favorite. doghouse doghouse 's is italian cypress. noir de noir is very good. there are a few others that are really popular. in the regular line Tom Ford for men Extreme and grey vetiver are popular.

I'm sure tobacco vanilla is nice, I generally like their tobacco. Not a big vanilla fan in general, so I haven't tried it yet. Will try Italian Cypress if I get a hold of it (don't think its stocked here). Didn't like noir de noir, only tried it once though. Will try Extreme, Grey Vetivier I like but it is nothing special imho.

I was told AdP will discontinue Ginepro di Sardegna and Cedro di Taormina. Imho those are the nicest ones of the series, so that's a shame.

Currently looking for an oud. Just getting started, favorite so far is Oud Isfahan from Christian Dior. Might be replaced by Guerlain Oud Essentiel, only tried that once so far and used way to much. Anyone with recommendations for an oud?

I'm sure tobacco vanilla is nice, I generally like their tobacco. Not a big vanilla fan in general, so I haven't tried it yet. Will try Italian Cypress if I get a hold of it (don't think its stocked here). Didn't like noir de noir, only tried it once though. Will try Extreme, Grey Vetivier I like but it is nothing special imho.

I was told AdP will discontinue Ginepro di Sardegna and Cedro di Taormina. Imho those are the nicest ones of the series, so that's a shame.

Currently looking for an oud. Just getting started, favorite so far is Oud Isfahan from Christian Dior. Might be replaced by Guerlain Oud Essentiel, only tried that once so far and used way to much. Anyone with recommendations for an oud?
Montale makes some nice ouds. Maison francsis kurkjin or however its spelled makes some nice ones. Tom ford makes a few. Creed royal oud is pretty good. There are a few fancy ones like Roja and nassomoto

https://www.luckyscent.com/search?gsearch=Oud&sort=topsellers&sortdir=1&page=1

castle forbes is nice
there's another lime scented one that i can't think of off the top of my head. it might be trumpers but i'm not positive.
there's 10000 new brands out now. might want to check out reddit. some of the crap is supposedly good but then you'll end up down the rabbit hole.

what happened with DR Harris? did they just change the aftershave or all the products?

I dunno? I just reordered some Harris shaving soap, will see if I notice any difference. I don't use any fragrance from them.

As far as Limes, Trumper, Truefitt and TOBS all make pretty well known ones, especially Trumpers.

Maison Francis Kurkdjian

My unquestioned favorite. I dig almost all MFK stuff tbh. I wear the Lumiere Noire in the summer as my daily.

castle forbes is nice

I have never heard of these scents

I like Tuscan Leather, Journeyman Journeyman says his missus describes it as a chesterfield factory after a fire. Coincidentally I squirted on some Vert de Fleur at department store yesterday and quite liked it.

My unquestioned favorite. I dig almost all MFK stuff tbh. I wear the Lumiere Noire in the summer as my daily.
which version?
I have never heard of these scents
gotta get out more
I like Tuscan Leather, Journeyman Journeyman says his missus describes it as a chesterfield factory after a fire. Coincidentally I squirted on some Vert de Fleur at department store yesterday and quite liked it.
it was a little smoky for me but i know its popular.

I like Tuscan Leather, Journeyman says his missus describes it as a chesterfield factory after a fire.

After initially thinking it was a bit strong, she's now grown to like it.

Tuscan Leather is my favourite of the TF scents I've sampled. I found both Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille to be too sweet, almost cloyingly so.

Yes, I think you did - perhaps TF Tuscan Leather?

After essence of Slave Polished Latex Dungeon Studio myself.....oh shit! Wrong forum....

tobacco vanille is my favorite. doghouse doghouse 's is italian cypress. noir de noir is very good. there are a few others that are really popular. in the regular line Tom Ford for men Extreme and grey vetiver are popular.

Colleagues of mine have been complaining about nicotine smoking smells in the lift and that the architects above are smoking. Well, I've been in their office with the pinball machine, duke box and gleaming white teeth. There's no cigarettes going up there, but I didn't check out the gents for coke use. Anyway, in the lift today with the eldest and they complained too, but it was an obvious tobacco aftershave. Good stuff.

Last edited:
there's a new Acqua di Parma Colonia Incense that seems pretty good so far. might be worth a split there.

also a new Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb that's supposed to be pretty good coming out soon.

^ A perfume by a shoemaker, named after a type of shoe?

What does it smell like? The sweaty inner of a shoe after a hot day?

no. just no.

Srsly? You don’t think so??

Edit: just did another comparison smell of the two. Wearing the TF now. 18.21 is definitely a knock-off, but it’s actually a little nicer. I smell the tobacco and vanilla, without the hint of oude or bergamot that I get with TF.

Last edited:
Tried the Indonesian Oud from Zegna. It's a very nice scent, fairly similar to AdP Ambra. But alas no oud, so it is of the list. Local dealer is now stocking Byredo, never heard of them before, seems to be some run-of-the-mill fashion brand. They have two oud variants which I'm going to try next.

Tried Creed Royal Oud this week, no oud detectable, rather disappointing. The scent itself is ok, very sweet for the first hour but mellows a lot and while still rather sweet becomes more interesting over time. But I need a skanky oud, I have no idea why this has oud in its name.

Got some of the Terre d'Hermes, cedar with fresh citrus. In the mega-long lasting the sample on my shirt lasted all day and the next day before I put in the wash it was still there exactly as before. This ain't going to mellow or change its character over several hours, which sometimes is what you want.

Tried Creed Royal Oud this week, no oud detectable, rather disappointing. The scent itself is ok, very sweet for the first hour but mellows a lot and while still rather sweet becomes more interesting over time. But I need a skanky oud, I have no idea why this has oud in its name.

Any of the Montal ouds will be skanky. If you want full skank out stank get the made-in-the-old country concoctions you can find on the web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom