Things You Just Don't Get

Grown adult men who are playing games on their mobile.

Actually, I must confess to doing that on the bus or train sometimes. If I have a book, I'll read that or I'll read the news app on my phone. However, if I've read all the news that interests me, I'll open up Angry Birds and play a game or two.

Actually, I must confess to doing that on the bus or train sometimes. If I have a book, I'll read that or I'll read the news app on my phone. However, if I've read all the news that interests me, I'll open up Angry Birds and play a game or two.
i do too, mostly because i find it hard to keep my attention on reading in public because i'm usually too drawn in by the crazy fruit loops around me.

I’ve sat in professional meetings where guys will quietly pull out their iPads or phones and start tapping away as if they are busy multitasking work - but those around can see they are on Candy Crush.

Last edited:

Angry Birds?! That dates you. Late 2000s or 2010.

This one was playing Pokemon Go. I looked up Google Images and it looked best like it.

One a day multivitamins where you have to take two tablets. Obviously it's not one tablet a day.

cross post from the pissing me off thread.

preambel: I was called out to have a naive/poor password management. still, I believe in the integrity of a group, who joined DW to make an antipole to the existing scene, particularly styfo, of course.

nonetheless/nevertheless, we engage in horseshit rants about nothing, nada, nixi, further it is ignored, that an active member is hacking accounts or at least mine. probably, I'm just to sensitive. e.g. Dropbear Dropbear is afraid of fascists and thinks leipzig, magdeburg etc. are the heart of the evil. I wonder, if this is like americans see the world?

guys, make up your mind, but I would be pissed, if there is a professional hacker amongst this community.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate Thruth Thruth doghouse

alright, there is an active member around, who is hacking accounts, right? he get's away with it, right? sometimes, it feels like it is wanted, right?

actually, this should be a delicate situation, but it is obviously not, right?

au contraire, you guys call me out as the aggressor and I disturb the harmony of the forum, right?

I really wish you well with this strategy. it is one of a kind, period.

btw, I do and will not follow any of foxes advices, this shit is just too plain stupid and/or low-key, sorry for that.

I can see a "sabbatical" from DW as my interests are not covered and my interests in a clothing forum with a social affairs department are contrary to the rest of the audience.

my last island would be the "what's on your plate"- thread as I had pita with graved salmon and poured me cremant brut rose. probably not the pedestrian taste of some around here. maybe the only thing doghouse and I agree on. self-employment gives you the freedom of good-food, instant gratifications and lots of fun. check that out guys.

guys, make up your mind, but I would be pissed, if there is a professional hacker amongst this community.
there isn't a professional hacker. you're just a dope who can't understand what a strong password is.

there isn't a professional hacker. you're just a dope who can't understand what a strong password is.

sure, this is a very good explanation. just because this might be the case, one is just trying to find out and struts around with his knowledge. very reasonable, many thanks.

Fur coats and bare legs.

Parkas with furry hoods and sockless Chelsea boots.

Fashion statement over function?

^Definitely fashion over function.

Here in Australia in winter, you see hipsters walking around with a beanie, scarf, big beard, jumper, jeans... and thongs (ie rubber flip-flops) on their feet.

If it's cold enough for a beanie and/or a scarf, then surely it's cold enough to wear proper shoes!

^Definitely fashion over function.

Here in Australia in winter, you see hipsters walking around with a beanie, scarf, big beard, jumper, jeans... and thongs (ie rubber flip-flops) on their feet.

If it's cold enough for a beanie and/or a scarf, then surely it's cold enough to wear proper shoes!

That's a fashion in the UK, middle aged dudes in street wear and short trousers walking the dog in the middle of winter. Not hipsters, folk that you would have classed as quite normal years ago.

That's a fashion in the UK, middle aged dudes in street wear and short trousers walking the dog in the middle of winter. Not hipsters, folk that you would have classed as quite normal years ago.
Its big in Oz to wear crappy cargo shorts and thongs in winter and a puffy jacket on top - cos its cold.

Wearing Bluetooth headphones whilst on the toilet. Man walks out with the ear muff like headphones. Do you really need to still listen to music when you do number two?

One a day gummy vitamins. It's not one a day if you have to take two.

You're wearing a mask in the public and you're the only one in a two block radius yet you don't practise social distancing and nearly run into me because you were too busy tapping away on your mobile.

I'm in this branch office and it has a sign that for coronavirus prevention measures you should wash your hands in soap with hot water for X seconds. The faucet is touchless without a temperature control and spews out only one type of water - cold.

Mini Mike shakes a man's hand and then shakes a dog's snout. :ahahahaha:
3ticmi.gif
[/url]via Imgflip GIF Maker

Instagram iGents dressing up for waywt pics when they are on home isolation like everyone else.

I went to the market today. Some of the butchers are doing a fire sale before closing up.

At the entrance they posted some people with a clipboard. They asked whether I travelled, whether I was ill, and whether I was exposed to anyone who tested positive. Who the bloody hell answers yes to any of those questions?

I see the bank down the street from me is doing the same.

Two black people. One is speaking French so I don't know - Ivory Coast, Haitian, whatever. Anyway, I'm going up in the lift. I let a man exit with proper distance. Then I go up to the third floor. It stops on the second floor and the two blacks come in and she continues her mobile conversation, presses a lower floor and rides the lift with me to my floor before going down again. This must be the antithesis of social distance.

Two black people. One is speaking French so I don't know - Ivory Coast, Haitian, whatever. Anyway, I'm going up in the lift. I let a man exit with proper distance. Then I go up to the third floor. It stops on the second floor and the two blacks come in and she continues her mobile conversation, presses a lower floor and rides the lift with me to my floor before going down again. This must be the antithesis of social distance.

Still using the lift? I'm using the stairs with latex gloves on. The Accountant got the fear of lifts too, he was following me at the allotted distance last week. All academic now as I'm working from home until I sign-off the accounts next week.

“Retro football kits are like fine wine they often improve with age”

No they don’t! Especially when they have the sponsors name on them. Any grown ups who wear these should at least get the original cotton shirts with no advertising on them.

Otherwise the club should pay you to wear them.

Otherwise the club should pay you to wear them.

Well, to be fair, one could say precisely the same about the vast majority of casual clothing nowadays. Virtually all of it has some sort of branding on it and, in many cases, the more or larger the branding the better!

I keep on telling my kids that society has things the wrong way around and that it makes absolutely no sense for us to be paying lots of money to brands like Nike so that we can advertise their products - rather, they should pay us for being walking billboards. My kids understand what I mean but think that I'm an unrealistic idealist!

I think you're underestimating the tribal part of branding. While you could do this by style alone it's far easier through the various brands that all offer different designs and images. In youth culture this is an important element in differenetiating one group from another. What used to be punks/preps/whatever is now Nike/Adias/Supreme/... and their different sneaker models or clothing lines. A good a example for this effect in the adult world is Rapha. When they came out with their simplistic but elegant designs, it was a massive game changer in the world of cycling clothes. In the beginnig it was more of an insider thing but soon everyone knew that this stuff is well done but expensive and rare as you could only get in online.

Certainly, I agree that there is an element of tribalism - but ultimately, I think that it is related to consumerism, too. The ability to find the items, to be able to afford the items, to be able to flaunt the brand names and so on.

Rather than actual quality denoting taste, and the money to support that taste, brand names and branding became a short cut to signify that someone had taste, at least of a particular sort.

I'm sure that there are already numerous books out there on this topic, but it's interesting to think about the evolution of branding over the past few decades, from something that was relatively uncommon and often thought to be a bit gauche, to something that almost everyone wears, to a greater or lesser extent, and which is now thought by many people to be highly desirable, to denote "taste" or style.

Last edited:
It has been about four weeks since my company shifted to working remotely - save the few people in the office including myself. The discussion of staying connected and everything keeps coming up. It's ironic because before this happened, employees moaned about not having work/life balance and wanting to work remotely. Now they have it they feel disconnected and moan about lack of collaboration.

Anyway, one of my peers was doing small talk about this and he said do telephone calls, do video calls - although since it all happened he stopped shaving and doesn't even bother to change out of what he slept in so maybe it's not a good idea. Meanwhile I am still shaving, fixing my hair, wearing a suit and tie to work every day.

What makes people give up their routine? What makes people give into their own standards? Said peer always had a jacket and a pocket square so I am even more baffled.

What makes people give up their routine? What makes people give into their own standards? Said peer always had a jacket and a pocket square so I am even more baffled.

It was just dress-up before, now he's back in his den. He'll be breaking out the proletarian lager before too long.

Pride and standards, but a slim fit in a lock down(?):

Capture.PNG

It has been about four weeks since my company shifted to working remotely - save the few people in the office including myself. The discussion of staying connected and everything keeps coming up. It's ironic because before this happened, employees moaned about not having work/life balance and wanting to work remotely. Now they have it they feel disconnected and moan about lack of collaboration.

Anyway, one of my peers was doing small talk about this and he said do telephone calls, do video calls - although since it all happened he stopped shaving and doesn't even bother to change out of what he slept in so maybe it's not a good idea. Meanwhile I am still shaving, fixing my hair, wearing a suit and tie to work every day.

It is simple. You continue to dress as you do because you are still going to the office. Plus, you wear business formal to sporting matches. I think only Monkeyface dressed to the level of formality that you do outside of work. I think he had a permanent crease sewn into his PJs.

Your colleague on the other hand has realized that even in your button-up world COVID has casualized the workplace.

It is not that much different from the reason why people are hoarding toilet paper, flour and yeast. In pandemic times your routine has been fucked up already and your control over your environment has slipped. People worded out of a misplaced sense of doing something to show they were in control somehow. You should read up on it. Rather fascinating.

But he has made a change that resonates with his view of his world amidst a world gone crazy by pandemic.

Do you know what your colleague normally wears at home? Does he continue to sport the jacket and PS until dinner? Until he turns in or does he remove the uniform as soon as he gets home for something more casual?

What have the others who are still coming into the office do with respect to their attire? Has it changed?

Either he is the outlier or you are.

But he has made a change that resonates with his view of his world amidst a world gone crazy by pandemic.

Do you know what your colleague normally wears at home? Does he continue to sport the jacket and PS until dinner? Until he turns in or does he remove the uniform as soon as he gets home for something more casual?

What have the others who are still coming into the office do with respect to their attire? Has it changed?

Either he is the outlier or you are.

That doesn't explain the lack of shaving.

Others who are coming into the office are dressed as they used to dress - that is poorly.

It's not so much a discussion of whether you change to adapt to new environmental conditions or you let new environmental conditions change you.

It's more a topic of giving in and the defeatist I give up attitude that is alarming.

That doesn't explain the lack of shaving.

Others who are coming into the office are dressed as they used to dress - that is poorly.

It's not so much a discussion of whether you change to adapt to new environmental conditions or you let new environmental conditions change you.

It's more a topic of giving in and the defeatist I give up attitude that is alarming.

I guess that why you probably don't understand playoff beards. Same thing.

In normal times, professional business attire is the dress code - I’d trim my beard and iron for the week on Sundays. During a response, all bets are off - we switch to uniforms (polos and tactical pants with relaxed grooming standards.

I have a young planning section chief who is normally the well presented professional. He took this opportunity to get the mohawk he’s always wanted.

I've gone sans tie if I am going to the office, and if I am in a Skype/Teams meeting, I will be clean shaven and presentable. Except for my dying rubber plant in the background that I am trying to save.

Your spouse/partner/significant other wears a mask but you don't. Neither of you practise being separate so it's not like one of you is deathly ill.

Why not both forego the mask? The risk is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom