This Week In News That Makes You Doubt Your Committment To Humanity

Dropbear Dropbear this seems like a public health issue

Sounds like it has potential to become a public health issue.

The article says TCEQ, the environmental health regulars, are on it. They are good at their shit, though limited by lack of environmental protection legislation.

I did send the article to my friend running public health emergency management for the city of Austin.

Dropbear Dropbear i'm sure beto will fix this
0E96AB22-4670-47BB-AFA6-84DBE1D1F057.jpeg

It just continues to amaze me how unable to understand satire these people are

It seems pretty ridiculous that people are delving into tweets from 12 years ago that were perhaps a bit lacking in taste or humour but were not (as far as I can see) anti-Semitic. Still, if someone is not Jewish (and Delaney's not) but spends a lot of time making jokes about Jewish people, it does make you wonder why that person makes a lot of jokes about that particular religious/cultural group.

It's also worth noting that something that may seem inoffensive to people who do not experience abuse or discrimination, can seem different to those who do experience abuse or discrimination.

So we can look at a comment about Jewish boys being circumcised and getting their horns filed off at the same time and think, "Oh, that's pretty silly, but he's just riffing on the idea of Jews being evil and ridiculing the idea". A Jewish person may understand that Delaney is ridiculing the idea - in other words, they understand his intent - but still be unhappy as they're concerned that a) not everyone will get the ridicule and b) it's reinforcing, or emphasising, the idea that Jewish people are evil. So even though it's not agreeing with a stereotype, it is still publicising the stereotype, drawing attention to the stereotype.

It seems pretty ridiculous that people are delving into tweets from 12 years ago that were perhaps a bit lacking in taste or humour but were not (as far as I can see) anti-Semitic. Still, if someone is not Jewish (and Delaney's not) but spends a lot of time making jokes about Jewish people, it does make you wonder why that person makes a lot of jokes about that particular religious/cultural group.

It's also worth noting that something that may seem inoffensive to people who do not experience abuse or discrimination, can seem different to those who do experience abuse or discrimination.

So we can look at a comment about Jewish boys being circumcised and getting their horns filed off at the same time and think, "Oh, that's pretty silly, but he's just riffing on the idea of Jews being evil and ridiculing the idea". A Jewish person may understand that Delaney is ridiculing the idea - in other words, they understand his intent - but still be unhappy as they're concerned that a) not everyone will get the ridicule and b) it's reinforcing, or emphasising, the idea that Jewish people are evil. So even though it's not agreeing with a stereotype, it is still publicising the stereotype, drawing attention to the stereotype.
The point here is context: Jeremy Corbyn happens to be anti-Semitic. In an age of offense archeology, I wouldn't expect anything less, then a thorough sweep through his tweets for material he could be castigated and cancelled by.

no, as usual, it is not. you still to this day equate being for palestinians as being against jews. thats just not the case nor will it ever be.
It's exactly what happened. He was going to hang out with Jeremy Corbyn and so someone delved into his Twitter posts to find evidence against him and they found some bad taste jokes with jewish people as the target.

Just because someone supports Palestinians doesn't mean they can't be bigoted anti-Semites. You don't get a free pass for noble causes.

It's exactly what happened. He was going to hang out with Jeremy Corbyn and so someone delved into his Twitter posts to find evidence against him and they found some bad taste jokes with jewish people as the target.

Just because someone supports Palestinians doesn't mean they can't be bigoted anti-Semites. You don't get a free pass for noble causes.
Wait you’re actually trying to say Rob Delaney is an anti-Semite???

the spectator needs to be fired into the sun

Is anti-Etonian prejudice really OK?

Angela Rayner shouldn’t indulge in the politics of out-group hatred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom