WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

I'm trying to decide on ties that might go with it (don't have much that looks promising at the moment). Any thoughts?

I've already ordered this one, I think it's very versatile and would look good with anything from tweed to pinstripes, and I thought it might look nice with the cloth above as well. Madder silk:

View attachment 7331

I haven't ordered these ones yet, but I'm sort of itching to. I haven't got any grenadines at all so I'm not that familiar with them, but I think these could also be quite versatile:

View attachment 7332

View attachment 7333
Have you looked at what HenryC is offering? He's got some fantastic ties.
 
That rectilinear element with the paisley is strange. These light/bright blues with brown really throw me. The contrast is too much warm/cool/light/dark. The second one risks being a bit effete, but otherwise fine. Subdued foulard ties are immensely practical.
 
Bought some handwelted Horween cordovan PTBs for $115!
image.webp
 
It is important not to disturb human society because most human minds can only except what is in the limitations of these known dimensions.

Monkeyface - imagine if you had x-ray vision, could you handle it? Wouldn't it crush everything you previously believed in? Wouldn't you want to use it? Wouldn't you want to use it to find the winning lottery ticket? This is an example...we can't go disturbing ordinary society because it can break down society as we know it.

Monkeyface - what if some people never got sick because they harnessed certain energies, would you believe it? Even if you did believe it, wouldn't you want to do it as well? See....this is the problem we have...everyone would want the good stuff without cultivating the mind and spirit. When everyday man gets extroadinary things he is prone to abusing those things.

If you found 1 million dollars on the footpath would you keep it or leave it there? If you won a prize, would you keep it? If you say yes to these issues it tells me you are not ready for the secrets.

If a bloke smashed you in the mouth, would you thank him and love him for doing it? If you say no, you are not ready for the secrets Monkeyface. Hey Monkeyface, these things stem very VERY deep in their reasonings.

Sorry Monkeyface, it doesn't work that way. No man shall find out the secrets while he has a corrupt mind. Finding out the secrets means giving up everything and focussing on nothingness and looking inwards. Monkeyface, l could go on and on all day long, but it is likely not needed.

The point is, just do whatever you need to stay fit and healthy. Btw, I used to exercise a lot too, and ironically if l continued exercising my health would have went down hill because my mind cultivation would have had doubts by accepting known dimensions as truth,and that causes unravelling on multiple levels. Yes Monkeyface,this is deep stuff, that's why it is not talked about publically because most people can't perceieve any dimensions outside of the ones they can see....it's like trying to explain things to a blind man,it won't make sense to people until the mind and soul is cultivated properly.

What if you could use those powers to get navy crocodile shoes? Would you keep them? Oh wait, you did!
 
I'm trying to decide on ties that might go with it (don't have much that looks promising at the moment). Any thoughts?

I've already ordered this one, I think it's very versatile and would look good with anything from tweed to pinstripes, and I thought it might look nice with the cloth above as well. Madder silk:

View attachment 7331

Algy, where's the madder silk tie from? I like the pattern.
 
Bought these a couple of days ago but I'll stick em up why not:

On sale from exquisite trimmings.
main_1721_IMG_0678.jpg


On sale from Berg and Berg this PoW:

20150124-img_0389.jpg


The ET is beautiful, the Berg is cotton and I'm struggling to get a satisfactory knot out of it - possibly the lining is too thick for the cotton, or cotton simply creases as a matter of course. Still it was cheap and fills a hole, so to speak.
 
I don't know why I'm so fond of brown and orange. As a last resort, anyone that can do basic hand stitching can yank lining from a tie. I did it to a cheap poly tie and discovered they had an extra layer of lining in the knot area and it was better without it.
 
Interesting... Be right back, just ripping my tie apart.

On a separate note - PoW is standard, acceptable CBD in a London office yes?
 
Interesting... Be right back, just ripping my tie apart.

On a separate note - PoW is standard, acceptable CBD in a London office yes?

PoW tie is very acceptable. PoW navy suit too. PoW charcoal suit too. Medium/light grey PoW suit depends on your office
 
I don't know why I'm so fond of brown and orange. As a last resort, anyone that can do basic hand stitching can yank lining from a tie. I did it to a cheap poly tie and discovered they had an extra layer of lining in the knot area and it was better without it.

Because it is a nice complimentary colour combination? Orange with brown works. Orange with blue works and the combo of all 3 is nice.

With blue suits & jackets Browns on their own or in combination work. Same for oranges.
 
For a tie obviously. Not sure a PoW suit would go down hugely well.

PoW tie is very acceptable. PoW navy suit too. PoW charcoal suit too. Medium/light grey PoW suit depends on your office

What Monkeyface Monkeyface said. The tie is subtle enough & flexible enough to work with a lot of combos.

Dark POW suiting can be very subtle and completely appropriate for even fairly conservative workplaces.
 
Although light grey PoW with light blue overcheck is the boss motherfuckin' daddy of all suiting cloths. Does anything else come close?
 
Bought these a couple of days ago but I'll stick em up why not:

On sale from exquisite trimmings.
main_1721_IMG_0678.jpg


On sale from Berg and Berg this PoW:

20150124-img_0389.jpg


The ET is beautiful, the Berg is cotton and I'm struggling to get a satisfactory knot out of it - possibly the lining is too thick for the cotton, or cotton simply creases as a matter of course. Still it was cheap and fills a hole, so to speak.

I have found all cotton ties generally suck for getting a crisp knot and indeed they will wrinkle.

mogodor, which is a silk/cotton weave makes for a nicer knot while still not being shiny because of the cotton. Nice for spring/summer but I'll wear it year 'round. Another alternative to the cotton is poplin (silk & wool)
 
Although light grey PoW with light blue overcheck is the boss motherfuckin' daddy of all suiting cloths. Does anything else come close?

I like this a lot. Women like that fabric. Get compliments whenever I wear mine. Not that I am looking for it but I do notice if anything is said it is usually with that fabric or a DB (especially a grey flannel Chalkstripe). Interesting on the DB, the comment was "you need to always keep that buttoned up where as with SB everyone walks around with them open looking like slobs)
 
I like this a lot. Women like that fabric. Get compliments whenever I wear mine. Not that I am looking for it but I do notice if anything is said it is usually with that fabric or a DB (especially a grey flannel Chalkstripe). Interesting on the DB, the comment was "you need to always keep that buttoned up where as with SB everyone walks around with them open looking like slobs)

You are obviously a gentleman of impeccable taste and sound judgement.

The suit I really want next is grey flannel chalkstripe. I've only just got my first flannel item - a pair of trousers - but now I lust after the fabric waking and sleeping.

Unfortunately, I think my suit spending will have to be curtailed for a while, so the flannel of my dreams is not imminent.
 
You are obviously a gentleman of impeccable taste and sound judgement.

The suit I really want next is grey flannel chalkstripe. I've only just got my first flannel item - a pair of trousers - but now I lust after the fabric waking and sleeping.

Unfortunately, I think my suit spending will have to be curtailed for a while, so the flannel of my dreams is not imminent.

I have a system, I say to myself " what would Caustic Man wear?" Then do the opposite.

Flannel chalkstripes look far better than worsted thick pinstripes. Richer in texture and not as flash.
 
I have a system, I say to myself " what would Caustic Man wear?" Then do the opposite.

Flannel chalkstripes look far better than worsted thick pinstripes. Richer in texture and not as flash.

It's quite flashy though.
 
It's quite flashy though.

Flannel chalkstripes? Not in the least. Is it a touch more bold than plain worsted or flannel? Slightly, but the effect is softened by the fabric and more subtle chalkstripes.

Look at the suits the Shibumi boys are wearing, those are flask wide pinstripes because they are worsteds and the pinstripes are solid, thick and bright. Here is a comparison between navy flannel & eorsted. Worsted is way more bold and flash
image.webp
image.webp


Here are some greys, don't look flash to me other than if anything other than a solid is flash
image.webp
 
Flannel chalkstripes? Not in the least. Is it a touch more bold than plain worsted or flannel? Slightly, but the effect is softened by the fabric and more subtle chalkstripes.

Look at the suits the Shibumi boys are wearing, those are flask wide pinstripes because they are worsteds and the pinstripes are solid, thick and bright. Here is a comparison between navy flannel & eorsted. Worsted is way more bold and flash
View attachment 7354 View attachment 7355

Here are some greys, don't look flash to me other than if anything other than a solid is flash
View attachment 7356

I prefer grey stripes over white ones. So a navy suit with grey chalk stripes for example. It doesn't look as flashy as white stripes.
 
I prefer grey stripes over white ones. So a navy suit with grey chalk stripes for example. It doesn't look as flashy as white stripes.

I can appreciate your point. Horses for courses YMMV

What about navy or grey worsted with a fine red pinstripe?
 
I can appreciate your point. Horses for courses YMMV

What about navy or grey worsted with a fine red pinstripe?

Very cool, but I'd prefer the flannel version. I think London Lounge has something nice with a red stripe. I'd have no occasion to wear it anyways, and I'm afraid by the time I'll be able to wear something like that suits won't exist anymore.
 
Very cool, but I'd prefer the flannel version. I think London Lounge has something nice with a red stripe. I'd have no occasion to wear it anyways, and I'm afraid by the time I'll be able to wear something like that suits won't exist anymore.

You can wear it while standing on a mountaintop with LelandJ LelandJ watching the world as we know it end
 
I still haven't posted my pin-turned-chalky striped washed flannel suit yet. I posted the orphan jacket before.
 
You washed it or it came pre-washed?

Pre-washed, the jacket fits well but the pants were all sorts of drop-crotched deformed and my a-tionist recut them entirely and surprisingly with pretty good results.

08.webp
 
Just got new hangers for my new preciouses.. been letting them marinate in the closet a bit before I break them in and write some stuff for you guys (sorted in chronological order)
IMG_1170.webp
 
I really like the jackets that are third and fourth from the left - the brown with the triple overcheck and the grey glen-plaid check jackets.
 
Algy, where's the madder silk tie from? I like the pattern.

The Budd madder tie arrived today. It's very nice, surprisingly substantial so the knot comes up fairly large unless you yank it and squash it a bit.

Nicely made, no complaints. The colour is a little bit deeper and richer than the picture, and it's not especially chalky, but I'm very happy with it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom