What TV Shows Are You Watching?

9/10. I’m on the second ep now and thoroughly enjoying. Has a bit of an Aliens vibe to it, without the monster.
i just got reminded by a commercial on during the game and am downloading. looking forward to hearing what you think when you get through ep #3.

Raised by Wolves is the best thing I’ve seen in months.

I’m onto Euphoria now. I wish they made teen dramas like this when I was a teen.

Raised by Wolves is the best thing I’ve seen in months.

I’m onto Euphoria now. I wish they made teen dramas like this when I was a teen.

You weren’t happy with Buffy and Dawson’s Creek?

Really?? I thought the first three were excellent. The next two slowed down a bit and six and seven brought the pace back. By far the best thing on right now.

Lovecraft Country feels like doing my homework, oth.

Oh, and I saw Euphoria won some awards over the weekend. It was pretty good. Sort of a schoolyard trainspotting. Drugs and love.

Really?? I thought the first three were excellent. The next two slowed down a bit and six and seven brought the pace back. By far the best thing on right now.
yeah it was kind of boring. remember though i only got through one ep. i'm sticking with it.

Lovecraft Country feels like doing my homework, oth.
god i know. i didn't know horror was supposed to put you to sleep. its so fucking dull.

Oh, and I saw Euphoria won some awards over the weekend. It was pretty good. Sort of a schoolyard trainspotting. Drugs and love.
i gotta be honest i just kind of felt like i was too old for this one.

i gotta be honest i just kind of felt like i was too old for this one.

Haha, I think I made a similar comment above. I still enjoyed it though. I know I would’ve love it if something like this had come out 35 years ago.

I've been watching the British Home Cook Show. Almost finished the second series. That Georgia Salamat - looking at her hair I knew she must have been half Persian and I was right.

Why is Amazon Prime now putting adverts for their own shows in between episodes? I thought the point of going to a paid streaming service was to get what I paid for.

Started two new series this week:

The Good Lord Bird: Ethan Hawke as John Brown. Well made and entertaining. Hawke captures some of Brown’s character well, but borders on caricature going for the cheap laughs.

Evil: plucky band of skeptics working for the church investigate a secret society of evil psychopaths. First episode was pretty good - characters had some depth, a few plot twists and a few frights. I’m pretty sure it will go off the rails into the ridiculous within a few eps, but until then I’ll stay for the ride.

new AMC show Soulmates. interesting premise - in the future they develop an algorithm that basically guarantees who your soul mate should be. 2 episodes in so far and it basically shows how this information fucks up these people's lives. i think each week will be a new set of people so it should keep things interesting at least.

I wonder who my soul mate would be calculated to be. Probably not even remotely close to the women I have seen in the past.

MV5BYThmNjc4YTktMWYwMS00NmRmLTk0MzQtODBlMWU3NmRiMjRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Watched the first 2/3 of the eps last night.

Straight documentary about Indian billionaires who weren't doing everything above board and got caught. Really nothing much more to say. Def worth a watch.

3.9/5.

Finished Evil. For a CBS drama, it was surprisingly good. I hope it gets a second season.

I started La Revolution last night and to be honest I was so damn tired I’m going to have to watch it again before moving to the next ep. That said, production is excellent and the cast seem pretty good. The story might be a little slow to develop but the atmosphere is wonderful.

UPDATE: up to Ep3 now. It’s lavish, it’s French and it has zombies. Not enough nudity though. 7.5/10 so far.

The Good Lord Bird still flirts with going OTT but remains watchable. 8/10 because John Brown was awesome.

Last edited:
Hinterland. Noir Welsh detective series set around Aberystwyth (now on Netflix).

Filmed in both Welsh and English. International version is English only.

Main character never smiles and has a troubled background. Murders of elderly characters in remote rural locations so far. Rural Welsh settings dominate. Characters all Welsh, with proper Welsh names - Idris Williams etc. No inappropriate casting for the purposes of diversity.

Long self-contained episodes but worth watching. I have never been to Aberystwyth; the nearest I got was Machynlleth where that young girl was murdered. I will get there one day, after lockdown.

I finished Emily in Paris. It was panned in a review I read but I actually thought it wasn't too bad. That chef guy is amazingly handsome. No idea what he does to maintain that in his 30s.

These Netflix shows are half sight seeing eye candy (Paris shots galore) like Singapore Social.

MV5BM2EwMmRhMmUtMzBmMS00ZDQ3LTg4OGEtNjlkODk3ZTMxMmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5ODk1NDU@._V1_.jpg

WOW! JUST WOW!

I just finished ep 2 of this 7 part series!

A young girl loses her mom after they are involved in a car "accident". She is sent to a orphanage and struggles to find her way/fit in.

When she encounters the janitor in the basement playing chess, she has no idea what he is doing/what the game is. However, she has a gift! The janitor refuses to let her play...at first...but she studies him and goes over the moves/games in her head at night in bed. He then starts to teach her: openings/strategy/etc.

The orphanage administers medication to all of the girls, but that just sharpens her senses and knowledge of the game.

She is adopted, and again, struggles to fit in with her new "parents". After she reads in the paper about a local chess tournament, she reaches out to the janitor for the $5 entrance fee(winner takes home $100). Her life will never be the same!

The fabulous Isla Johnston plays the young(fictional) Beth Harmon and the wonderful Anya Taylor-Joy plays her in her teens/later years.

I don't believe that you have to be a chess fan to absolutely love this series! I am, but that is only partially why I choose to give it a shot. Netflix hit it out of the park with this!

As of 2 eps.....4.75/5

(Disclaimer: My rating can drop is Netflix $hits the bed over the last 5 eps!)

Last edited:
MV5BM2EwMmRhMmUtMzBmMS00ZDQ3LTg4OGEtNjlkODk3ZTMxMmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5ODk1NDU@._V1_.jpg

WOW! JUST WOW!

A young girl loses her mom after they are involved in a car "accident". She is sent to a orphanage and struggles to find her way/fit in.

When she encounters the janitor in the basement playing chess, she has no idea what he is doing/what the game is. However, she has a gift! The janitor refuses to let her play...at first...but she studies him and goes over the moves/games in her head at night in bed. He then starts to teach her: openings/strategy/etc.

The orphanage administers medication to all of the girls, but that just sharpens her senses and knowledge of the game.

She is adopted, and again, struggles to fit in with her new "parents". After she reads in the paper about a local chess tournament, she reaches out to the janitor for the $5 entrance fee(winner takes home $100). Her life will never be the same!

The fabulous Isla Johnston plays the young(fictional) Beth Harmon and the wonderful Anya Taylor-Joy plays her in her teens/later years.

I don't believe that you have to be a chess fan to absolutely love this series! I am, but that is only partially why I choose to give it a shot. Netflix hit it out of the park with this!

As of 2 eps.....4.75/5

i saw this the other day on the torrents. keep us updated on how it turns out.

warrior s2 is pretty good so far. keeps up the themes of s1 and doesn't try to go too overboard. recommended watch.

I just started watching it yesterday and agree - the first couple of episodes are really good and the lead is excellent in the role. I'm really enjoying it.

It took me a while to realise that one of her opponents (the best player in the first tournament she entered) was the actor who played Harry Potter's awful cousin Dudley. He's slimmed down a heck of a lot.

I started Barbarians last night. It’s lavishly filmed and poorly dubbed. So far the characters are a little 2D, but I’ll stick with it just a little longer to give it a chance. Update: 3.5/5 by ep 3.

Last edited:

WOW! JUST WOW!

As of 2 eps.....4.75/5

I finished this last night/this morning! Again...WOW! JUST WOW!

Anya Taylor-Joy is stunning(performance and looks) in her role as the main character, Beth Harmon.

Ep's 3-7 takes us along for the ride as Beth enters more prestigious tournaments and her name/reputation rises among the worldwide chess community.

Her goal? Enter the world championships in Russia and seek revenge for a loss to the top player in the world(a Russian.) She will need to overcome loads to make that happen...starting with her pill and alcohol issues and the lack of money needed to get her there.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. The soundtrack and main score are SO good. Beth's/Anya's wardrobe is so fitting for the mid/late 60's. She has mesmerizing eyes..as you can see in the pic above. A captivating performance!

I remember thinking last night that I would maybe "drop" this down to a 4.25 or a 4.5. I may have been falling asleep and not really paying attention. I re-watched the last ep from last night and continued on this morning. This def held up!

4.75/5!

I don't see a documentary thread, so I will leave this here:

2i8qASvTIQqJA8-gx0NwuoJyDQXaNaKFwayYV_5s-yOhCCaxCAuomUDFhI_TSa27Eg26xyTKEkUQZvvnQ1mS6vJLK1VvvqlQ_b_CZsBSVj7922LJLox9CKAUfRMFMpa6llKvrUdYLLmsblWDd7uv8Mf4dO7p82AC0GFCaDbV2_eOv3TiFqI0_c5beAIRK_Zco7P-W2O3c_BI0fyhikeCrKN0LsXf_Qm5JK9P11u9qdmYvASWJweUKXCUQP18ZiB9_gAdDYybpQWO3Mn3gfcTydiHp5Aw

A very solid 3 part doc re ex NFL player Aaron Hernandez.

Several years ago, AH was a suspect in 2 separate murder(3 people in total) investigations while playing for the New England Patriots in the NFL.

This doc walks you through his upbringing, college life and rise to being one of the most gifted young players to enter the league.

His issue? Leaving the friends/neighborhood behind and learning to grow up and not be that "tough guy" person he wanted everyone to believe he was..

The phone recordings when he is in jail awaiting trial are interesting!

Worth a watch. I didn't catch this when it first came out.

3.75/5.

tv updates - warrior still very good. soulmates has been disappointing these past few weeks. its interesting, the episodes where there's drama and tension im finding much more interesting than the episodes where there's a happy ending.

Barbarians is dragging a bit. I may abandon it and try The Barrier or Warrior while I’m waiting for The Mandalorian S2.

grand-army.jpg

Started this last night.

This 9 part series centers around a fictional high school in Brooklyn, NY named, you guessed it, Grand Army.

It's gritty and raw! Sex, bullying, racism, sexuality, all all of the usual high school high jinks are all touched on during each appr 1 hour ep. The cast of young adults playing teens are pretty good.

This isn't a G rated series. These kids curse like sailors(do sailors really curse that much?)

I got to ep 3 and will def finish this out before the weekend. I could def see this getting picked up for another season...but you never know with Netflix!

Holding off on my rating until the end.

I am making my way backwards to I'll have what Phil's having on Amazon Prime after watching Somebody feed Phil on Netflix. Somewhat sad that his parents are a lot more alert in 2014/2015 than the most recent season in 2019/2020.

Why does Amazon keep inserting adverts for their own shows between episodes? If I wanted to watch another show I'd select one.

MV5BMDc3MzllMzgtNjFlZS00N2IxLWIwYjEtNGViNTIwYmMzZDA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Started this last night....

A virus is spreading in Moscow and everyone who is alive struggles to stay.....alive. A group of "friends", family and strangers bond together and try to make it to a remote lodge on an island.

These people struggle to get along. Some want to desert the others. Some are looking out only for themselves.

I believe I made it to ep 2 or 3...I forget. I will watch until the end as this reminds me of the BBC series, Survivors, which I liked. As long as this doesn't turn into a zombie series, I am AOK.

Will with hold rating.

you'll really like warrior. trust me.

finished ep2 and so far it all seems pretty meh and unbelievable. I’ll give it a few more because of your recommendation, but so far I’m not seeing the appeal.

MV5BMDc3MzllMzgtNjFlZS00N2IxLWIwYjEtNGViNTIwYmMzZDA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Started this last night....

A virus is spreading in Moscow and everyone who is alive struggles to stay.....alive. A group of "friends", family and strangers bond together and try to make it to a remote lodge on an island.

These people struggle to get along. Some want to desert the others. Some are looking out only for themselves.

I believe I made it to ep 2 or 3...I forget. I will watch until the end as this reminds me of the BBC series, Survivors, which I liked. As long as this doesn't turn into a zombie series, I am AOK.

Will with hold rating.

Survivors was ok, but this one really didn’t do much for me. I don’t think I finished ep2.

warrior s2 is pretty good so far. keeps up the themes of s1 and doesn't try to go too overboard. recommended watch.

I just watched this series, based on your recommendation, but now I’m thinking you mean something else?

I just watched this series, based on your recommendation, but now I’m thinking you mean something else?

i have no idea what that other series is

I finished watching the new Letterman installment. Interesting to see pre and post coronavirus episodes. His guests are old enough to remember Letterman. I found it funny Kim Kardashian tells one of her younger sisters that she's doing Letterman and she has no idea what that means.

Watching Somebody Feeds Phil now. Between 2014 and now his parents have aged quite a bit. 6 years and mum can't get on video chat camera anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom