Apple, Android, Smart & Dumbphones - The Mobile Thread

I’ve only had about an hour to play around with it.

I mostly use my phone for messaging friends overseas, skimming this forum, taking pics of the kids and sharing them with family and watching movies/tv shows.

For doing that stuff it is a huge improvement on my old phone. The camera is impressive, video display is great and I now have memory to store shit. Plus it’s water ”proof”.

Worth the money or worth upgrading if you have a newish phone -probably not. But I’m still impressed how far thing have come in four years.
Hows the forum look on the larger screen?

Moar bigger!!!

Actually, not a lot different. I went fully planning to get the smaller phone - easier to stuff in a front pocket. But the jumbo really isn’t that much bigger irl.

Moar bigger!!!

Actually, not a lot different. I went fully planning to get the smaller phone - easier to stuff in a front pocket. But the jumbo really isn’t that much bigger irl.
Good. Thats what i was hoping to hear.

This place is spending money on all the wrong stuff. Some IT manager comes by to help me set up my iPhone 7.

I don't know who had my work mobile number before, but I get strange text messages from people who clearly can't spell. Sometimes they ask to meet up. Today I received a message from Kathy who sent me 4 photographs and a video of her doing facial extractions. Remember me from Bossy Lady - no I bloody don't remember you.

Does anyone else find the bloody split screen in iOS annoying?

yes, extremely. its not as bad on my ip7 but i've tried some of the newer models and its a real pain in the ass with no home button.

I'm having the most issue with it on my iPad. Maybe it's how I do gestures but I always seem to spawn a split screen window. I wish there was a way to turn it off. I can't imagine doing the same on my corporate mobile which is an iPhone 7.

I'm having the most issue with it on my iPad. Maybe it's how I do gestures but I always seem to spawn a split screen window. I wish there was a way to turn it off. I can't imagine doing the same on my corporate mobile which is an iPhone 7.
I think there are apps in the store. Might be worth checking on.

Since the last iOS update I have to think that the virtual keyboard has become more unintelligent. It deliberately mangles properly typed words with its autocorrect. I am using back space to correct the word league multiple times until I accept its suggestion of ue to finish the word so it leaves it alone. Baffling.

Why do I need 5G?

My father keeps talking about which mobile will support it. I don't watch streaming video on my mobile except to check out the odd music video on YouTube. I don't even stream music.

Then I was told I need it for IoT but neither of us own a vehicle. The thought of transmitting terabytes of data of my health and GPS location for contact tracing terrifies me.

Not getting a new one before next year. But the return to the square edges is nice.

Not getting a new one before next year. But the return to the square edges is nice.
same but i'm waiting for the fingerprint sensor. after 9 months of watching jackoffs take their masks off so their phones can scan their faces I'd rather just fucking wait.

Is that the "coronavirus" limited edition model?

My father was raving about it and I saw yet another iPhone.

same but i'm waiting for the fingerprint sensor. after 9 months of watching jackoffs take their masks off so their phones can scan their faces I'd rather just fucking wait.
Oh you are right. I have an 8, so don't even think about it.

My Android mobile complained about low space on the device so I cleared it up by deleting cache and deleting a few apps and reinstalling them. Lo and behold the entire mobile phone is a lot faster now. It was getting a bit sluggish this past few weeks. I wish I knew to do it sooner.

Make sure it stores all stuff up in google cloud. Then delete from phone only. I then download backups to pc and backup external HD.

a few reboots often help too. I tend to now turn it off overnight. It seems to me the rest and reboot helps. Mystical thinking I know.

I'm one of those cave people who still store most of my media on a card. I have privacy issues with cloud. I actually try to turn off location tracking when I'm not using Uber.

Unboxed a bunch of new apple pencils that have been sitting for a few years in an emergency kit for registering new vaccine recipients and collecting consent signatures.

Turns out the Lithium battery dies if it ever gets down to a zero charge so we have several thousand dollars of brand new plastic sticks.

Unboxed a bunch of new apple pencils that have been sitting for a few years in an emergency kit for registering new vaccine recipients and collecting consent signatures.

Turns out the Lithium battery dies if it ever gets down to a zero charge so we have several thousand dollars of brand new plastic sticks.
send me one. i'll swap it out with a brand new one locally!

To cap off a craptastic day yesterday, I dropped my personal iphone and now have spiderweb cracks on the glass.

Is it worth taking to one of these screen replacement places? I’ve heard very mixed reviews.

alternatively, I’ll just put up with it until the next model release is available.

To cap off a craptastic day yesterday, I dropped my personal iphone and now have spiderweb cracks on the glass.

Is it worth taking to one of these screen replacement places? I’ve heard very mixed reviews.

alternatively, I’ll just put up with it until the next model release is available.
Don't go to the Apple store as they'll rip you off.

My eldest needed it fixing and we were quoted insane prices at a couple of places. Next week we were re in the UK and we went to the local market and these two Indian chaps fixed it for ten quid or something ridiculous.

Last edited:

Depends what model? Does it still work? Can you still use it? Are you planning on getting rid of it soon?

XS Max. It works. It’s annoying but I can live with it for a while I guess. If I can get the screen repaired I won’t bother upgrading for a while.

XS Max. It works. It’s annoying but I can live with it for a while I guess. If I can get the screen repaired I won’t bother upgrading for a while.
well the 13 is due out this fall. if you're interested in upgrading any working phone usually works for these trade-in promos.

well the 13 is due out this fall. if you're interested in upgrading any working phone usually works for these trade-in promos.
Perfect, that’s what I’ll do. Thanks mate!

iPhone13: yes or no?

Cracked screen on my X is annoying and it looks like I can get a partial trade-in if I go on a 36 month plan.

But he still has a cracked screen of a model from 3 years ago that is prone to cracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom