Ask A Quick Question

Formally?

Class uniform was far stricter years ago. The great democratisation of fashion that occoured in the early seventies pretty much ended class dress. Everyone can dress working class now. If you chose to dress ‘nicely’, then it’s for aesthetics and not social conformity and class membership signalling.

Sure, I look at pics of blokes in the late fifties and early sixties, admiring their style. But I’m also glad I don’t have to dress up for every single outing. I can wear a t-shirt and jeans to the supermarket without fear of being seen and judged if I want.

Sure, I look at pics of blokes in the late fifties and early sixties, admiring their style. But I’m also glad I don’t have to dress up for every single outing. I can wear a t-shirt and jeans to the supermarket without fear of being seen and judged if I want.

I wear a blazer to the supermarket. I need the pockets for my work and personal phones - not necessarily because I need to impress the women in their black yoga trousers or shopping with their gym bags.

Were men better dressed in previous eras?

Post war.
1950s.
1960s.
1970s.
1980s.
1990s.
2000s.
2010s.

Post war - Yes, if they could afford it.
1950s. - Yes
1960s. - Yes
1970s. - Yes
1980s. - Yes
1990s. - At the start yes, but even at the end lots of good quality choices
2000s. - No, iGent madness
2010s - Streetwear

Blue linin sports coat for office casual wear this summer (with linin and cotton trousers, open collar), which do you think would be more versatile:

24000-32-1500x1500-1.jpg
24000-43-1500x1500-1.jpg
24000-66-1500x1500-1.jpg

saetta-1-1500x1500-1.jpg

Or this one:

Don't do it! Linen jackets are an evolutionary dead end and have been supplanted by linen-cotton-wool-whatever mixes, which give you the linen heat wicking quality with non of the creasing and longevity problems of 100% linen. I was sorely tempted by a couple of J.Press linen jackets last year, and I had to fight myself to resist as I knew that the initial buzz wouldn't deliver in a couple of weeks of hard summer.

Oh, yeh, I should have specified I guess that I’m looking at linen-cotton or linen-wool blends, unlined.

I have a pure linen mid-brown jacket for disheveled and rumpled summer days, already.

Edit: I’m like liking that last one, but have concerns how it will pair with brown tones (chinos, etc).

I’ve had my Barbour Sapper for 4-5 years and am mostly very happy with it. With two exceptions: the bloody funnel collar won’t sit flat and just never looks right and the length is a tad short.

I’m thinking about changing it for another model, but which one? Currently looking at the Ashby and Beaufort though the Moorland is also intriguing.

Do you guys (in the USA) who use Foster & Son contact by email or phone normally to set up a bespoke meeting?

I'm not aware, that someone around here uses F&S. very few bespoke shoes customers on this end of the fora.

here is what they recommend on their website:
http://foster.co.uk/ask-us/events-and-offers/

of course, they wouldn't mind a phone call. btw, good choice. if I had to do english shoes, which I don't, I'd choose F&S. it's been said, they have the most experience in adressing orthopedic issues among the english makers, which is a very important asset for bespoke shoes, imo.

for the pros: of course, I've been banned on styleforum. now they tell me to contact the administrator but don't let you navigate the site, surprise, surprise.

they don't even let you log out, so I can't have a look at the latest happening(s).

not sure, who knows an answer Grand Potentate Grand Potentate ?

I'm not aware, that someone around here uses F&S. very few bespoke shoes customers on this end of the fora.

here is what they recommend on their website:
http://foster.co.uk/ask-us/events-and-offers/

of course, they wouldn't mind a phone call. btw, good choice. if I had to do english shoes, which I don't, I'd choose F&S. it's been said, they have the most experience in adressing orthopedic issues among the english makers, which is a very important asset for bespoke shoes, imo.

F&S were Lord Lucan's bootmaker and it was one of the last places he visited before disappearing. I've a pair of the Henry Maxwell country shoes the derby brogue in black. Big and chunky and made for rattling over bogs and country fields. Not really suitable for the office.

for the pros: of course, I've been banned on styleforum. now they tell me to contact the administrator but don't let you navigate the site, surprise, surprise.

they don't even let you log out, so I can't have a look at the latest happening(s).

you're banned. If you delete your browser cookies you can get to a state where its a guest account but then you'll likely have less viewing privileges. if you stay logged in then they can track you on the site via your user profile activity. otherwise they can just use your ip to see when you've been viewing. don't know what the end game here is though so i can't say for sure what you should do.

what did you do to warrant a banning?

F&S were Lord Lucan's bootmaker and it was one of the last places he visited before disappearing. I've a pair of the Henry Maxwell country shoes the derby brogue in black. Big and chunky and made for rattling over bogs and country fields. Not really suitable for the office.

depends on the office, though. I've been told in the U.S. you can wear workboots to the office, but not hiking boots, go figure. one learns something new on a daily basis, which isn't a bad thing per se.

50rry y0u h4v3 b33n h4x0r3d.

p55wrd = u53rn4m3

maybe, I dunno. they replied on facebook and gave me an email. answer is pending and the status seems the same. no further posts over the handle, right?

In any case, I lliterally don't need styfo. I messed up with so many people before and would do it again, but it doesn't satisfy me, so what?

Who were you on SF?
I don’t remember that many ‘troublemakers’ unless it was in the politics forum or somewhere else I never look.

Who were you on SF?
I don’t remember that many ‘troublemakers’ unless it was in the politics forum or somewhere else I never look.

depends on the definition of troublemaking. in the fashion department it suffices to question favorite brands.

first nick was fritzl, second walker

but, if hacking means someone uses my nick and posts nonsense it could get the nick in trouble, not necesarilly me. if you get that drift, do you?

Vaguely remember fritzl. Don’t recall Walker. There’s a walker on FNB and I sincerely hope that’s not you!

Someone popped up on SF a couple of weeks ago lashing out a few home truths that were hilarious but of course he was almost certainly booted off in short shrift, mores the pity.

I ordered a Barbour Ashby to replace my Sapper. Is it worth getting the zip-in liner as well? I can't get a sense of how well it secures to the outer shell and how warm it is without seeing it in person.

why are those so called master level enablers on insta so sensitive? got blocked by burzanblog after I told him, that reviewing freebies is not the definition of personal style. this is a bit thinskinned, imo, not?

dude is selling wooden-floors and pretends to be the arbiter of style without any basic knowledge of quality in clothes, footwear and accessories. too rich for my blood, imo.

ps: of course, I cannot link to his insta page now, but it is easy to find and you'll find all the usual claqeurs among his following crowd. nice.

Sounds interesting - what were they posting about?
Just being brutally honest about a few of the SF protected status posters. I don’t recall much as it was only for a few days before he was rumbled but I know he gave a good thrashing to Roycru and his ridiculous Charlie Chaplin baggy pants.

sincerely walker on fnb, celery
I have no idea what this post means.
If you’re walker on FNB - get your hair cut you fucking scruff, and stop posting pictures of those ridiculous baggy khaki shorts with your skinny sparrow legs. You look ridiculous and not in the least “Ivy”.

I have no idea what this post means.
If you’re walker on FNB - get your hair cut you fucking scruff, and stop posting pictures of those ridiculous baggy khaki shorts with your skinny sparrow legs. You look ridiculous and not in the least “Ivy”.

me neither. I have no idea which picture you're talking about?

I have cyclists legs and can hardly fit into RTW trousers. yes, I wear shorts sometimes on the beach, but do not remember posting those kind of pictures on the web. probably this fucktard friends customer posted some bullshit, which is not me, I dunno.

Denimheads:

I'm looking for a pair of straight legged, highish rise dark denim jeans that I could tuck a shirt into or even wear with a casual sports coat. Not looking for expensive esoteric Japanese cult denim or anything too expensive. Is Naked & Famous Easy Guy my best option?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom