Ridiculous Stories In The News

gotta click through for all the pics of the interior. doghouse doghouse doghouse doghouse this one has your name ALL over it.

As you say, some impressive work inside.

The big mistake that pretty much all of these "modern castle" people make, though, is that the ceilings are too low. You shouldn't have chandeliers, exposed beams and medieval furnishings with low ceilings, as it just looks stupid.

gotta click through for all the pics of the interior. doghouse doghouse this one has your name ALL over it.

The story is even better than the pics. The eyebrows. The dead camel. The divorce. The pregnant girlfriend. Pimping the teenage daughter and the web series.

As you say, some impressive work inside.

The big mistake that pretty much all of these "modern castle" people make, though, is that the ceilings are too low. You shouldn't have chandeliers, exposed beams and medieval furnishings with low ceilings, as it just looks stupid.

The story is even better than the pics. The eyebrows. The dead camel. The divorce. The pregnant girlfriend. Pimping the teenage daughter and the web series.

I submit this for the first post. Very nicely done, IMO.

Open to title suggestions

It's amazing what is considered news today/2022!

I guess if you have a Twitter/FB/Instagram/TikTok account, you can apply to be a writer/editor/etc anywhere in the world. Just scour those platforms and state that Twitter, TikTok broke the internet/was furious/blah blah and you will get some clicks.

53878809-10485253-image-a-15_1644247517065.jpg

That guy looks strange. Something off putting about his demeanour.

“Prices have risen by as much as 500% since Facebook changed the name of its holding company to Meta in October 2021, with people paying millions of dollars to buy plots of pixellated land in this virtual world, even though it doesn’t fully exist yet.”

People have enough issues buying real estate in the real world yet there is money to buy (fake) virtual real estate?

I did a $60 Smirnoff penka shot in a freezer full in this bar. At one point when the owner saw me, I'd get free drinks. South African Indian who grew up during apartheid.

But that was a long time ago.

Meaning more Russian?
Well, yes. That was their vision for the place, and I always knew I wanted to do something slightly different. I wanted to move away from the overt Soviet-era decor, and bring more variety to the food and drink menu. But I had never planned on changing the name.

When did you realize you had a problem on your hands?
On the Friday after the invasion, in late February, there was a conflict between some of our customers. Pravda had a tradition of playing the Soviet anthem at midnight. Not the Russian anthem, the Soviet anthem—many people don’t understand there is a difference. Right after it played, there was an argument between two groups. I sent security over and some people were asked to leave.

That night, our sales were really low, which is of course a concern for my staff who had already had such a hard time. I said, “It’s okay, Fridays are always a little bit slower than Saturdays.” But then on Saturday, it was even worse. I was on the floor, and I was chatting with some guests—a group of four that had originally made a reservation for eight. I asked what happened to everyone else, and they told me half of their group didn’t feel comfortable going to a Russian bar. Then another person with a group reservation called to cancel, and when I asked if I could rebook them she said, “I love your bar, but my friends said they don’t want to go right now.” Then I started getting messages: DMs through our social media accounts, people writing on our Google page, leaving voicemails.

What kinds of things were people saying?
There were people leaving negative reviews—people who had clearly never even visited Pravda. There were people sending messages saying how dare I support Putin—uh, I don’t. People left images on our Google search page, including one of Putin’s face with the word “murderer” written in blood over it, one of children in a war zone. There were people who wanted me to stop serving Russian vodka, which I did. There were people who wanted me to hang the Ukrainian flag, and others asking me to make a statement about Pravda’s position on the war.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom