The Firearms & Sport Shooting Thread

Regarding the coffee article, there was no suggestion, as I recall, that it was sponsored, and I don't recollect the Black Rifle Coffee Company having been mentioned. The subtitle was "The caffeinated warrior," and the premise was that in a doomsday scenario you may have to forego grinding your own choice roasts and make do with instants. The author said that he drank three or four pots a day. To my mind that is drug addiction, pure and simple.

As to the matter of gun magazines doing well, I was given a recent issue of Guns & Ammo that had their publisher's statement about circulation in it. Back when I was on staff at G&A in the 1980s, a good month would be 150,000+ on the newsstand, a great month about 180,000, a dreadful month, 135,000. We typically had about 450,000 subscribers. In the recent publisher's statement, G&A had about 350,000 subscribers, and newsstand was down to less than 25,000. For those who don't know the magazine industry, you normally don't make any money on subscriptions, they are only useful as a tool for selling advertising.

Last edited:
443E13C7-CD60-4A2C-9B8E-B974921CACAD.jpeg

Just finished cleaning up after a morning at the range. I’m surprised me skills are still sharp given how little I shoot these days.

There was another group on the range shooting a select fire AK and AR. The later started activating some old sense memories, which definitely added to the experience.

I missed the IDPA round last month, but met a guy at work who does biathlon matches and have been thinking about trying that out for fun.

Meanwhile, today I met up with a mate to punch some paper. Indoor static range - no running and gunning.

C5C6C05E-2C42-458A-8B4F-683C60CBC3E2.jpeg E8388CC7-60D7-4BA9-AA10-43556FB16CBC.jpeg

I did an IDPA match today and felt pretty good about my performance. I didn’t get a trophy, but I feel I shot well and am still in good condition. There were guys twenty years younger complaining about the heat and gasping for breath at the end of each stage, since it was a pretty physical course.

Yeetgate has been more entertaining than Boaty McBoatface since HK got into the mix.

As I experiment with linens and cotton belts this summer, I’ve noticed more issues with holsters. I’m going to dust off an old shoulder holster I had made years ago for the complete Miami Vice vibe. But no S&W 10mm for me.

I went to a club shoot on Sunday. Very laid back and social - a nice change from the recent competitive events I’ve done.

I ran into an old friend from my army days - the SLR (FN FAL). It was kinda fun to squeeze of a few rounds, but I’ve no interest in owning one.

4ABFDC80-36DA-48BA-8107-C2F494883BC3.jpeg

Just a few of us having a beer with a mate tonight and he showed me his new CZ. Damn I wish I could get an ambi selector on one of these!

20C14EE2-CB6F-404E-B5F1-C23930DD8FBF.jpeg

I have no idea what an ambi selector is. Reading American crime fiction the gun stuff does not really mean much to me.

CZ used to be a motorcycle brand.

I have no idea what an ambi selector is. Reading American crime fiction the gun stuff does not really mean much to me.

CZ used to be a motorcycle brand.

CZ is Česká zbrojovk, the Czech Republic’s largest firearms manufacturer. Generally, quality Euro stuff at a price point that is better than the Swiss and Germans can manage.

Ambidextrous safety/selector is something that appeals to us southpaws, mainly.

I have the big brother of the pistol above (pic below - note ambi safety), but I’d quite like the compact version for carry if it were more left-handed friendly.

4891D579-8706-4AC8-A795-83FD5D53B891.jpeg

^Eastwood's iconic revolver (in the Dirty Harry series) as actually a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum, not a .45.

Courtesy of Mr. Eastwood, I do know about Magnum 45s.

"I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

What makes this particular gun special? Looks like any other 9mm youd see at a range.

It's not unique, but it's certainly not common. Everything these days is polymer and striker fired or a scaled-down 1911.

Czech made subcompact doublestack 9mm with an alloy frame and SA/DA action (can be converted to SAO for old school folks like me), using the lovely CZ75 action and trigger with a host of custom parts available .

Followed by the .44 AutoMag in the second (Third?) movie. Made in Passedena, CA.

Actually, it was the fourth movie, "Sudden Impact," in which he used the Auto Mag after losing his Model 29. I think after the original Pasadena-based company folded, production was moved to various spots by sundry successor companies that acquired the rights to the Auto Mag.

The Auto Mag looked cool and badass, but it was really a rather unwieldy brute of a gun. I can recall that the clerk at one gun shop was very impressed that I could rack the bolt on it without pre-cocking the hammer. (I was a good deal bigger and stronger in those days!)

I can remember hearing that one guy shooting his Auto Mag was killed when the locking lugs on the bolt of his pistol sheared and the bolt was blown back into his skull!

"I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Movie review: Come for the car chase and trash talk - stay and rerun for the clothes.

Deer hunting season is about to start here, but I’m gonna be too busy this year. I’m hoping to shoot some feral hogs on a friend’s farm around Christmas. Last time I shot razorbacks at dusk the buggers charged me and I was dropping them as fast as I could before I got gored. Is also like to try shooting javelinas with a pistol, too.

Last edited:
6810C4A2-53BF-4D38-870E-31DE97F30470.jpeg
some good music playing, a cold beer waiting for me in the fridge and working my way through some general cleaning and maintenance. Pretty good way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

DC895760-581B-4BF1-A4F1-4F76E75BA459.jpeg

I seriously doubted this would ever come to fruition, but it looks like Rob Pincus is helping make it happen. Might be in stores early next year. That’s about the most innovative release in handguns I’ve seen in years. I’m so sick of seeing 1911s and poly strikers released each year, it’s about time someone tried pushing things a little (yes, I know it’s still a CZ75 at heart).

The entire thread.

Remember I'm British, lusting after firearms is an alien concept to me.

I also think gun ownership is a massive problem in your country, and may go some way in accounting for the seeming militarisation of your police.

Its odd, that some don't see the connection.

Firearms/shooting is an Olympic sport, puts food on the table and can save your life.

How many posts have you made today fetishising wristwatches?

Remember, I’m Australian by birth. Having lived here a while I’ll agree that America is rife with problems and is very violent - but eliminating the tools want address the root causes.

Firearms/shooting is an Olympic sport, puts food on the table and can save your life.

How many posts have you made today fetishising wristwatches?

Remember, I’m Australian by birth. Having lived here a while I’ll agree that America is rife with problems and is very violent - but eliminating the tools want address the root causes.

Watches don't kill unless your James Bond.

Remember I'm British, lusting after firearms is an alien concept to me.

I also think gun ownership is a massive problem in your country, and may go some way in accounting for the seeming militarisation of your police.

To some extent, I think that, like cars and watches, collecting firearms is a primarily male hobby related to the idea of machinery, things whizzing around, engines, power and so on.

However, as correctly pointed out, a gun is a weapon and is designed to kill, whereas cars, watches and other such things don't kill people (at least not deliberately).

It's interesting to ponder, and I do think that there certainly is a degree of "gun fetishisation" or obsession present in the US that is almost unknown in other places. Dan Bilzerian is perhaps a good (or a bad, depending on what you think of him!) example of this - he is hugely popular on Instagram and his account shows him carrying around bags full of weapons, firing heavy weaponry, driving big cars, gambling and hanging around with women in skimpy bikinis.

America fetishises violence in general, not just one particular tool.

I don't think Americans fully appriciate how odd their relationship to guns seems to the rest of the world.

I don't think Americans fully appriciate how odd their relationship to guns seems to the rest of the world.
you have to understand americans, for the overwhelming part, DO NOT travel internationally to interact with foreigners. they have no concept or understanding of what other societies are like or how their people act. if they go to a place its to see that place and try their foods and see their swarthy peoples. that's about it.

you have to understand americans, for the overwhelming part, DO NOT travel internationally to interact with foreigners. they have no concept or understanding of what other societies are like or how their people act. if they go to a place its to see that place and try their foods and see their swarthy peoples. that's about it.

Oh I know that, but unfortunately some have a really bad habit of projecting their own country's problems onto other countries.

‘American Exceptionalism’ to many locals here translates to: we are better and if the world isn’t jealous then it’s only because they are too dumb to know what they are missing out on. See conservative narratives about emasculated European men. Add that to the whole cult of rugged individuality and the all around centrality of violence in the culture and you are starting to get the picture.

Meanwhile, for a lot of people, the firearm is a tool much like your wristwatch. It is used for sport, providing food or self defense. There are gun nerds just like there are watch nerds who obsess over particular designs and mechanisms or provenance and history. There are amateur tinkerers and those looking for ownership status.

I enjoy competition and social shooting events. It’s fun to dust off old skills I learned when I was less than half my current age in Basic training. I’m not a collector, but I can certainly appreciate historic firearms and the desire to own them. It’s definitely a fun project restoring an antique firearms to working condition.

Typical comment from my Australian friends: Americans are weird and shouldn’t be allowed to own guns. But if I ever come and visit, will you take me out and let me shoot all those cool guns?

I have to disagree with Formby.

Given how useless the British police have now become, they just stand and watch crime being committed. People don’t bother to report a lot of crime now. They know nothing will happen and they will just be fobbed off with a crime number.

Add to that a deliberately fractured society.

So disbanding such police forces can make sense. People would have to defend themselves. Possession of guns, concealed carry etc would make sense in those circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom