WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith , Your a.i lawn mower will become Christine.

Is there any grass in The Hague? I didn't get to see it when I was there, I assume it is all canals and old stone roads.

Is there any grass in The Hague? I didn't get to see it when I was there, I assume it is all canals and old stone roads.

Sure they have Grass.

Review::

very friendly staff, giving away pré-rolled joints on bonus at every 10 euros you spend. That's nice!
Rijswijkseweg 229
2516 HD Den Haag

1613458390132.png

It is very urban it parts and some of it is very brutal architecture, but they're pretty good at urban renewal schemes. I live 10 klicks out, but still loads of canals and water ways. I'm closer to the centre of Delft. Wassenaar is the best area around The Hague, and that was our prime location for buying a house, but at the time, there was nothing on the market in the price range we were looking for. We did find one ideal place, but the owner was just looking to rent.

Sure they have Grass.

Review::

very friendly staff, giving away pré-rolled joints on bonus at every 10 euros you spend. That's nice!
Rijswijkseweg 229
2516 HD Den Haag

View attachment 36297
There's quite a few more aesthetically pleasing than that dour looking place. But since you can't smoke in them anymore, buy drinks, or treat as a place to socialize - that was well before Covid - they're basically the equivalent of place where you pick-up your methadone prescription. Rather clinical with cubicles.

Creamer's use to be the place in The Hague, a proper pub with joints.

The center of Delft is nice. Been there once for a conference. One evening event, was at this mediveal place, where we had to eat with our fingers. Westerners don't really have any grasp of how that concept works, when sharing food. Most disgusting evening ever.

The center of Delft is nice. Been there once for a conference. One evening event, was at this mediveal place, where we had to eat with our fingers. Westerners don't really have any grasp of how that concept works, when sharing food. Most disgusting evening ever.
It has a lot of character, as do the smaller student/cathedral based cities in the Netherlands. Amsterdam unless you live there is just a good shopping center with trimmings of gimmicky tourist traps and the red light district. Looks very nice mind you. The Hague has great restaurants if you're very in on the places to go, lots of rubbish ones too. Crap bars and pubs. Delft is much better on that front, lots of back alley places with music themed nights. Studenty in good way, loads of American students.

When we went to .nl - we stayed in Weesp and travelled by train or bike around to other places.

Once on a flight to Scotland from Oz* we landed at Schiphol @ 6 am - took train into Amsterdam and flew back out @9pm - other than being tired it was possible to do a pretty good tourist relaxed squiz at Amsterdam in the short time.

*Quicker, cheaper and less hassle than going through Heathrow.

Last edited:
Like the look of this from T&A, over priced for OTP and with no Long sizes, it could be way too short for me:

Cordings will have their spring/summer range out in the next few days. They'll likely have more cost effective solutions in a similar style.

Are you going on safari?

I'm always on safari...the big five game of urban protestors: Antifa, BLM, Russian Dissidents, Neo-Nazis, Village Green Preservation Societies.

Watching them all from a safe distance. Ticking them off on the way to getting a tie with them all on.

the big five game of urban protestors: Antifa, BLM, Russian Dissidents, Neo-Nazis, Village Green Preservation Societies.

I actually thought you'd approve of Village Green Preservation Societies - ensuring the continuance of idyllic English village life and all that.

Totally off-topic, but that reminds me of a rather famous English court case involving cricket - Miller -v- Jackson:

It's particularly notable for its simple, precise and beautifully descriptive opening paragraph, written by Lord Denning:

In summertime village cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch. In the village of Lintz in County Durham they have their own ground, where they have played these last seventy years. They tend it well. The wicket area is well rolled and mown. The outfield is kept short. It has a good club-house for the players and seats for the onlookers. The village team play there on Saturdays and Sundays. They belong to a league, competing with the neighbouring villages. On other evenings after work they practice while the light lasts. Yet now after these 70 years a Judge of the High Court has ordered that they must not play there anymore, He has issued an injunction to stop them. He has done it at the instance of a newcomer who is no lover of cricket. This newcomer has built, or has had built for him, a house on the edge of the cricket ground which four years ago was a field where cattle grazed. The animals did not mind the cricket. But now this adjoining field has been turned into a housing estate. The newcomer bought one of the houses on the edge of the cricket ground. No doubt the open space was a selling point. Now he complains that, when a batsman hits a six, the ball has been known to land in his garden or on or near his house. His wife has got so upset about it that they always go out at weekends. They do not go into the garden when cricket is being played. They say that this is intolerable. So they asked the Judge to stop the cricket being played. And the Judge, I am sorry to say, feels that the cricket must be stopped: with the consequences, I suppose, that the Lintz cricket-club will disappear. The cricket ground will be turned to some other use. I expect for more houses or a factory. The young men will turn to other things instead of cricket. The whole village will be much the poorer. And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.

Beautiful - a reflection both on the process of gentrification we all suffer, but more importantly, on what absolutely insufferable wankers Brits can be with these things. My neighbor is pretty much the same.

I actually thought you'd approve of Village Green Preservation Societies - ensuring the continuance of idyllic English village life and all that.

Totally off-topic, but that reminds me of a rather famous English court case involving cricket - Miller -v- Jackson:

It's particularly notable for its simple, precise and beautifully descriptive opening paragraph, written by Lord Denning:

In summertime village cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch. In the village of Lintz in County Durham they have their own ground, where they have played these last seventy years. They tend it well. The wicket area is well rolled and mown. The outfield is kept short. It has a good club-house for the players and seats for the onlookers. The village team play there on Saturdays and Sundays. They belong to a league, competing with the neighbouring villages. On other evenings after work they practice while the light lasts. Yet now after these 70 years a Judge of the High Court has ordered that they must not play there anymore, He has issued an injunction to stop them. He has done it at the instance of a newcomer who is no lover of cricket. This newcomer has built, or has had built for him, a house on the edge of the cricket ground which four years ago was a field where cattle grazed. The animals did not mind the cricket. But now this adjoining field has been turned into a housing estate. The newcomer bought one of the houses on the edge of the cricket ground. No doubt the open space was a selling point. Now he complains that, when a batsman hits a six, the ball has been known to land in his garden or on or near his house. His wife has got so upset about it that they always go out at weekends. They do not go into the garden when cricket is being played. They say that this is intolerable. So they asked the Judge to stop the cricket being played. And the Judge, I am sorry to say, feels that the cricket must be stopped: with the consequences, I suppose, that the Lintz cricket-club will disappear. The cricket ground will be turned to some other use. I expect for more houses or a factory. The young men will turn to other things instead of cricket. The whole village will be much the poorer. And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.
A variation of get off my lawn!

Wish I had got into cricket, more of a gentlemanly marshal art than a sport. But it always seemed so indescribably boring and slow paced to me.

Who won the case?

At the previous level, the High Court, the judge ordered that the club cease playing cricket, and also pay damages of 150 pounds to the Millers for "negligence and nuisance".

The club appealed the decision, and the Millers cross-appealed, and requested an increase in the amount of damages (plus, of course, the Millers wanted to keep the decision that the club had to cease playing cricket).

The Court of Appeal, with Lord Denning presiding, considered the High Court's decision.

One of the other two judges, Lord Cumming-Bruce (who, as an aside, had earlier been a lieutenant-colonel in the Royal Artillery and had served in North Africa in WWII) observed that the court had to "strike a fair balance between the right of the plaintiffs to have quiet enjoyment of their house and garden without exposure to cricket balls occasionally falling like thunderbolts from the heavens, and the opportunity of the inhabitants of the village in which they live to continue to enjoy the manly sport which constitutes a summer recreation for adults and young persons".

The court noted that the Millers had bought a house with the benefit of an open space adjacent to their land, and had to accept that the innocent and lawful use of the open space could occasionally restrict their enjoyment of their garden.

In the end, the Court of Appeal set aside the High Court's decision. It increased the damages payable to 400 pounds, but allowed the club to continue to play cricket on the ground.

So the Millers received more money, but had to put up with the risk of errant cricket balls being hit into their yard. The club had to pay damages, but the village could continue to enjoy summer cricket as it had for generations past.

Seems like common sense prevailed eh?
I mean you buy a house next to a cricket ground it’s not exactly a hidden secret that there may be consequences!

Can't believe there's a conversation about fucking vacuum cleaners....!!!!!!?????!!!!!!

FFS.

some of us peasants have to, you know, clean our OWN houses. can you even fathom the indignity???
I look forward to reading further conversations about which aprons you wear and what feather dusters you use then sweetheart!

We might talk about soap and showers next.

That will be mysterious to the English.
This is one of those strange stereotypes that have no relation to reality but continually do the rounds...

Reminds me of the stereotypes about Aussies that they have no culture and are a bit thick...

Oh!

I bought a Bodum Melior goose neck kettle for my pour-over coffee. :)

How do you prefer to make your coffee, gentlemen?

With good coffee I use a pour-over or French press, but most mornings to compromise on time/efficiency I knock back a couple of Nespresso Alto Intenso pods.

Last edited:

i got into all the pour over shit and aeropress and french press and different techniques. in the end i went back to drip. i grind my beans and measure my water levels but otherwise the rest of it turned into too much of a pain in the ass.

This is one of those strange stereotypes that have no relation to reality but continually do the rounds...

Reminds me of the stereotypes about Aussies that they have no culture and are a bit thick...

Oh!
"oh you are awful..."

Decided to ring the last drop out of the T&A sale, and got this officer linen shirt:

SHI230-GG9350_1000x.jpg

€115 and as a summer shirt, it must have been hanging around lost in the inventory since before this winter.

T&A are a beaut for all of sudden turning up new stuff at sale prices after the sale has kind of ended.

N&F left twill denim jacket. Found the link here. Peoples need to check good deals posted here.

N&F left twill denim jacket. Found the link here. Peoples need to check good deals posted here.

Sweet. I like their lh twill - gets very soft and comfortable quickly. I have their type III trucker in black. Nice jacket. Borderline too short for me, but I still wear it.

I don't even know why I bought it, to be honest. Going to be hot to wear in the summer and I am mainly in Rick on casual days.

Mate, I am collecting bespoke leather jackets. Nothing we do here has any basis in common sense.

Mate, I am collecting bespoke leather jackets. Nothing we do here has any basis in common sense

Thinking about trimming down the closet, but too attached to let anything go.

I have yet to wear anything but a light weight jacket since I moved here and I have more than a handful of wool/cashmere overcoats, all pointless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom