Brexit - The UK and the EU

Thank god someone else realises this for the nonsense that it is:

There are a few on here who believed it too.

1609254950555.png

The voted Leave. Let their fish rot.

If true, then let that fresh fish be sold in the UK.

Have you ever tried to find a fresh fishmongers in a UK city?

Fish has been rationed in the UK for quite sometime. The Brits gave up their fisheries to join the EU. A national disgrace then as now.

If true, then let that fresh fish be sold in the UK.

Have you ever tried to find a fresh fishmongers in a UK city?

Fish has been rationed in the UK for quite sometime. The Brits gave up their fisheries to join the EU. A national disgrace then as now.

Pimpy, WTF are you talking about?? Rationed?? Seriously man, up the dosage or switch your medication!

Not only I've tried, but I succeed on a weekly basis. I buy fresh fish once a week, in London, from a number of different places, both close to me (Islington, I can give you their numbers if you feel like placing an order), as well as online from other parts of the country. The fish I buy, for the most part, comes from British fishermen. Every now and then I'll go crazy and buy something that comes from the continent.

Of course it was rationed, because all the fish had to be shipped to Europe as tribute to Frau Merkel

Pimpy, WTF are you talking about?? Rationed?? Seriously man, up the dosage or switch your medication!

Not only I've tried, but I succeed on a weekly basis. I buy fresh fish once a week, in London, from a number of different places, both close to me (Islington, I can give you their numbers if you feel like placing an order), as well as online from other parts of the country. The fish I buy, for the most part, comes from British fishermen. Every now and then I'll go crazy and buy something that comes from the continent.

I can assure you outside of London and Islington you might find it quite difficult to find high street fishmongers in comparison to somewhere like the Netherlands.

Not interested in the phone numbers, thanks.

The Brits gave a massive amount of their catch on joining the EU and still do. That's fact.

I can assure you outside of London and Islington you might find it quite difficult to find high street fishmongers in comparison to somewhere like the Netherlands.

Not interested in the phone numbers, thanks.

The Brits gave a massive amount of their catch on joining the EU and still do. That's fact.

Mate, do you want me to start posting here every single fucking fishmonger in the UK who sells online FOR THE WHOLE FUCKING COUNTRY??

I don't know what shit you're smoking over there in the Netherlands, but there's been no shortage of fish in the UK. That's just fucking bonkers.

Mate, do you want me to start posting here every single fucking fishmonger in the UK who sells online FOR THE WHOLE FUCKING COUNTRY??

I don't know what shit you're smoking over there in the Netherlands, but there's been no shortage of fish in the UK. That's just fucking bonkers.

You might find if you used less expletives, overuse of capitals and repeating question and exclamation marks you might arrive at a point where I could take you a bit more seriously than a South American gnat.

You might find if you used less expletives, overuse of capitals and repeating question and exclamation marks you might arrive at a point where I could take you a bit more seriously than a South American gnat.

That's ok, don't worry Pimpy, I'm entirely comfortable with a paranoid, delusional, reality-detached, hatred-and-lies-spewing clown like you not taking me seriously.

Here, have some fish:
fishmonger-in-market-row-shopping-centre-in-brixton-london-england-DG7W5M.jpg

XLWYLTtIC9dTDhsA9oqYv51Ht2I3m--U_twaHtx6SMQTY_5G71e0pcTfAfWwmVRYECRb06J2gvTt4r4pPkk9_EWWpeuQgtT8OF8aWhrO-03UVzOZbDaJhQ
0_WG_CAMB_MARKET_014JPG.jpg
fresh-fish-fishmonger-in-southport.jpg
47.jpg
rbp_mai290817ashtons_2510JPG.jpg
fishmonger2-635.jpg
london-june-18-2018-fishmongers-260nw-1143352700.jpg
fishmongers-van-stall-with-a-display-of-fresh-fish-in-staines-upon-thames-market-high-street-staines-a-town-in-spelthorne-surrey-se-england-uk-2ABT5Y9.jpg
article-2178798-1434DF76000005DC-872_1024x615_large.jpg
t7fRFiSG0xLuHrGg3HOfRfwgfW1ZIB4X6CfN7P3k6pJJel7xjbWVS3C0D2Wgj2Ua410KeeGhI_5_6AFoJJARuly_uOdMmzu-tOCYmfEVtttoyJzWruDO8akNYKCiTpfhix7AgQIX5ZH2fE2rdG_frHbMGgQ

Please do give the names of your London fishmongers. Phone numbers and address not necessary.

Independent fish shops have largely disappeared. Mac Fisheries were the last of the big High Street fishmongers.

They still exist of course, in places where there is a demand and a willingness to pay the high price for fish.

Outside of Billingsgate, Deptford has a few fishmongers mostly serving foreign, third world types. Twickenham has a good fishmongers for middle class customers, as does Claygate. I am told Borough market also has fishmongers targeting a trendy clientele.

Quality of fish on offer will be nothing like that in, say, the Iberian peninsula.

I definitely would not buy fish online. The fishmongers stall in Kingston market is dodgy. Waitrose fish counter probably sells a good proportion of the wet fish in the High Street now. Other supermarkets are closing fish counters.

Last edited:
Please do give the names of your London fishmongers. Phone numbers and address not necessary.

These are the two that I use most of the time.

Independent fish shops have largely disappeared. Mac Fisheries were the last of the big High Street fishmongers.

Bollocks.

Steve Hatt: For 125 years, our fish shop has been an integral part of the Islington Community. Things have changed a bit over the years, but we are just as committed to providing the freshest, high-quality fish to our customers whilst adhering to strong ethical guidelines as we ever were.

Quality of fish on offer will be nothing like that in, say, the Iberian peninsula.

Very true - I lived in Spain (Barcelona and Madrid) for 7 years, and the quality of the fish is orders of magnitude better than what you find in the UK. The Gambas from Palamos! The Tuna from Barbate! the Squid from Cabo de Gatas! The Octopus from Galicia! The John Dory from the Girona coast! I get excited just thinking about them.

Also, this fact has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit, Leavers, Quotas, Rationing or any other nonsense being discussed so far.

I definitely would not buy fish online. The fishmongers stall in Kingston market is dodgy. Waitrose fish counter probably sells a good proportion of the wet fish in the High Street now. Other supermarkets are closing fish counters.

Thanks for the tip, mate. You should definitely do whatever you feel makes the most sense for you. I know where to buy my fish, thank you very much. And that list would not include Waitrose.

These are the two that I use most of the time.

Bollocks.

Very true - I lived in Spain (Barcelona and Madrid) for 7 years, and the quality of the fish is orders of magnitude better than what you find in the UK. The Gambas from Palamos! The Tuna from Barbate! the Squid from Cabo de Gatas! The Octopus from Galicia! The John Dory from the Girona coast! I get excited just thinking about them.

Also, this fact has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit, Leavers, Quotas, Rationing or any other nonsense being discussed so far.

Thanks for the tip, mate. You should definitely do whatever you feel makes the most sense for you. I know where to buy my fish, thank you very much. And that list would not include Waitrose.
I am sorry if the facts don’t suit your case, but numbers of fishmongers are down drastically in the U.K. as Pimpernel points out :-
From 8000 shops to hundreds now.

Like the express dairy, fishmongers disappeared from High Streets. Independent bakers have gone the same way.

Fish is expensive for families, whereas as chicken went from a rare treat to a staple in the same time frame.

Of course, you may have an Islington view - like Quin and his friend from the ‘Its Grim up North London’ strip.
(I could just imagine Quin waxing lyrical about the fish markets of Madrid and Barcelona too.)

If so look in an ordinary High Street for a fish monger.

Good read:

well at least the fish rationing has stopped, that's gotta be worth something!

e. received the following shopping information, which I suppose is largely true:

fruits and vegetables surprisingly well available, but prices have exploded. Fish has gotten about 80% cheaper, because it can't be exported anymore. No more Dutch cheese, no more French butter, no more European wine. Cheese selection now consists of mild, medium and strong cheddar. For diversity, Leicester may be available

e2. that's just great, lot's of cheap vacation homes coming on the market:
Brexit leaves Spain's Costa Brits facing dilemmas - BBC News

Last edited:
Yes, but Boris and co will not do anything about it unless the likes of Farage forces him to. Boris would rather soak up unjustified media praise and kick any problems into the long grass.

A bold government would sense the public mood and give 12 months notice we are going to WTO terms; at the same time enabling non-tariff barriers to delay or cripple EU exports to the U.K.

Hopefully the petition around the NI protocol will increase the pressure:-

The expat store is struggling with supplies: pork scratchings are getting through, crisps, Pot Noodles, Yorkshire tea and marmalade too, but any pork pies, sausages, bacon, tins of soup (for some reason) and frozen food not. The bottles of beer and canned proletariat lager is in store, but no diet tonic water.

They tell me that they're looking at an Eire pork pie solution that they hope to have in store next week. I do hope so. They're really pissed-off as the Brits keep the place going, the Americans are not enough.

The days of the UK perishable food is over. We also shop at the Russian supermarkets here and all the Russian cuts of meat and smoked fish are all sourced within the EU, Germany in fact. Other than the tinned type goods, Georgian wines, it's all made in the EU.

I've ran the gauntlet of the new custom regime with three recent purchases now.

The Floris episode is already posted about. My T&A linen shirt got through with €46.40 but it split the costs which explains a lot. So along with the VAT/BTW on the cost and the courier, you have custom clearance costs and VAT on top of that.

The Cordings chino got through with zero extra costs. However, I need to lose some weight as they're half-an-inch too small. And with no elastic %, it's very exact. I expected Cordings to be a bit more generous.

Bangers from Great Britain are no longer permitted to enter into Northern Ireland.

...but what if it's made in Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain?

Bangers from Great Britain are no longer permitted to enter into Northern Ireland.

...but what if it's made in Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain?
White pudding, which would be part of an Ulster fry breakfast, is probably locally produced. It’s quite nice.

Whereas as Lorne sausage, the square sausage in a Scottish breakfast, is nothing to write home about - although it probably had nostalgia value for ex-pats.

White pudding, which would be part of an Ulster fry breakfast, is probably locally produced. It’s quite nice.

Whereas as Lorne sausage, the square sausage in a Scottish breakfast, is nothing to write home about - although it probably had nostalgia value for ex-pats.
Ulster fry, haven't had that for over 20 years now. Good stuff.

The expat shops here can't get perishable goods from the UK now. So no more pork pies or English bacon. Pork pies ever popular.

What about Fish Fingers?
That's kids food.

I think this is going to be a winner:

Once a week I get my steak in. The local Dutch stuff is an inferior tasteless variety, then we have some South American weighted towards Uruguay which is better. The Canadian grain fed is much better, but the very best is the Australian t-bone or when available the wagyu. Superb stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom