General fitness

Rower, stair climb and elliptical are my three mainstay gym machines ... but no wayI’m going back into a gym for a while.

I think I might try doing some sprints. In need to do something for my legs and I fucking hate jogging.
running is the worst. get the home machine. nothing better than not having to drive to the gym to do cardio.

Sprints might be your thing? Get better shoes though. Nothing beats that feeling, when you push and push yourself, until you can taste the iron in your mouth.
In any case - if you have the room, get a rower.

Gym is opening up again tomorrow, with restrictions as needed. Sanitation between uses of weights, no mats, reduced number of ppl in the areas.
Going to wait at least a week, before I come back. No reason to rush into it.

My gym is opening up. June is a transition month, but I think July they are going to start charging my membership again. Transmission risk is high in that environment, so I won’t be going back for a while.

I have been bugged with pain in my left shoulder for some time now. I assumed it was some kind of training problem: Pulled muscle, overtraining, something like that. I finally saw a doctor--a leading figure in sports medicine, orthopedics and shoulder injuries in my part of the world. As it turns out, the problem is a combination of arthritis and bone spurs, and nothing much can be done about it. The good news is that the doctor said I could do any exercise that doesn't cause pain in my shoulder. I'm experimenting on this a lot right now. Fortunately, there seem to be a lot of good exercises. I can perform almost all my favorite mace moves without difficulty, likewise with kettlebells, except for overhead presses with my left arm, and it looks as if I'll be able to keep up a good fitness regimen in this my 79th summer.

Finally relented and ordered some running shoes. If this is my last post, you’ll know why.

I have a workmate that runs Texas Biathalons: runs and sprints punctuated by various assault rifle shooting stages. He suggested I join him. I think I’d rather try to chase the pretty girls in short shorts running on the path in my neighborhood.

Would think it was a IPSC thing, when using assault riffles? Any biathlon I assume would be a .22 discipline?
In any case, I'd prefer the sprints too.

Would think it was a IPSC thing, when using assault riffles? Any biathlon I assume would be a .22 discipline?
In any case, I'd prefer the sprints too.

I’ve done some IDPA courses that were fairly physical, but this sounds like a whole next level. As he described it, they jog for a few miles then shoot a course before more running (sprints and jogging). I think this is it:

Some day I’ll check it out, but for now I’m just going to wheez around the jogging path near my house.

I’ve done some IDPA courses that were fairly physical, but this sounds like a whole next level. As he described it, they jog for a few miles then shoot a course before more running (sprints and jogging). I think this is it:

Some day I’ll check it out, but for now I’m just going to wheez around the jogging path near my house.
That does look kinda tough (to do well.. and not puke while you're at it..).
I just prefer the classic course race, as I come from the sports range. Summer biathlon has never really catched on, even though IBU keeps trying.
In any case, if you want to try it at one point, better start running :)

I’m still struggling with excercise without the gym. I’m going to have to try jogging.

Any recommendations for a cheap pair of running shoes (must have an EEE fit)?

I’m still struggling with excercise without the gym. I’m going to have to try jogging.

I just follow 'thedadwod" and "theboxprogramming" in instagram.

Far better than running,

A daily wod on both sites.Usually no equipment required and max of 20 minutes,

For running I always buy the cheapest possible model. Currently using mizuno wave. Really happy with them.

I just went for my first run. Just a slow and easy 20 minute shuffle to get started, but I wore a pair of court shoes and they were fine. I think I can keep using these at least until I know I’ll stick with it.

I may need to buy one of those bicep iPhone holder things though.

Cant do cheap and 4e. I used to recommend new balance but now ive switched to brooks. Do you have any kind of pronation?

Best way to start is slow. But do get a proper shoo.
You don't need music. Just run.

Acics tended to make the best running shoes IIRC. Mrs F wears them when she's on her ward rounds.

Last edited:
Cant do cheap and 4e. I used to recommend new balance but now ive switched to brooks. Do you have any kind of pronation?

I am a mere 3e with no known foot issues except possiblow arches.

Let me know how bad the shin splints are tomorrow DB

Not sure what that feels, but I know my thighs will be aching tomorrow

Best way to start is slow. But do get a proper shoo.
You don't need music. Just run.

Music to dull the pain and the phone app also opens the garage door so I don’t need to bring keys.

I am a mere 3e with no known foot issues except possiblow arches.

Not sure what that feels, but I know my thighs will be aching tomorrow

Music to dull the pain and the phone app also opens the garage door so I don’t need to bring keys.
Well no one makes running shoes in 3E any longer. Its just e, 2e, and 4e for the most part. What have you worn in the past?

I haven’t bought running shoes in 35 years. I was issued a couple pair in the army shortly after that and swore never to run anywhere except on the beach sand after that.

Just did my second ‘run’ which is really a slow 20min shuffle. I found some Asics in my size for about $50 on Amazon that I’ll try. Guess I’m doing this.

I’m still going! For now, I’m doing a fairly light 25 minute run six days a week. It sounds like I should work-up to a harder run on alternate days.

Dont you like rowing on the erg?
Just did 8.5k in what was supposed to be in a light row. 37.30m.
Far better than running. Not pain on the knees after that.

I haven't been doing too much in the fora lately, but I might mention that since early this year I have posted a number of short pieces on the blogsite of the Set For Set macebell company. My most recent effort was one on stocking a home gym. website: setforsetcom

Thanks for the compliment, Rambo. I just completed a slam ball workout a little while ago. I am doing an article on medicine balls and slam balls for the blog right now.

I haven’t bought running shoes in 35 years. I was issued a couple pair in the army shortly after that and swore never to run anywhere except on the beach sand after that.

The last time I bought a pair of trainers/sneakers was about 15 years ago and I still use them when mowing the lawn. They're falling apart now. A pair of New Balance.

Going to have to up my game on the keeping fit front. After the end of August last year, I just stopped no exercise at all. My wife is extremely disciplined she has a couple of subscriptions and to that New Zealand outfit that's all the rage. We have loads of weights. But in the house, I can't do anything longer than a couple of reps. 5 mins max, if that.

From my early 20's was a 42, 15.5, the only change was in my late 30s and early 40s I went to 16 neck size. After that, in 2015, I had my neck operation and because of muscle wastage I needed to go on the weights, which bulked me up to a 44 chest and my neck after the operation was 16.5. I'm at the stage now, where I feel that muscle mass on the chest is going to waste and that doesn't look good on a middle aged dude.

Months away before the gyms reopen here.

Get an online PT. I do it 3 times a week over zoom. It's great. And I jump on the static bike in between meetings or on those meetings where I can turn the camera off.

Bought a stationary bike and doing 20min HIIT 3x a week. Hoping to see results in 3 months

I've been getting out on my bike, it can be unpleasant at 6-9C with that cold north east wind rattling across the bike lanes. An hour an a bit, you're done. Last Saturday morning was good, zero wind, but I need a few more weeks building-up before I'm going to be getting euphoric post biking buzz. Been doing the weights too and the muscle on my chest, seems only to have been sleeping. I moved just in time there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom